Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 AM
William

Default install ubuntu 32 bit

I have a dual core 64 bit computer with 4g of ram I try to install
ubuntu 9.10 32 bit it just see 2.7g of ram How can I get 32bit to see
all 4g of ram ?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM, William <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a dual core 64 bit computer with 4g of ram I try to install
> ubuntu 9.10 32 bit it just see 2.7g of ram How can I get 32bit to see
> all 4g of ram ?

I dont think you can, but that would be an answer I would be able to
use as well.

I think it is the limitation of 32bit, that beeing the maximum ram the
CPU can address.

Donno if there is some kind of bypass.

Regards

Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 AM

The server kernel is able to access more than 3GB.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

William <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a dual core 64 bit computer with 4g of ram I try to install
>ubuntu 9.10 32 bit it just see 2.7g of ram How can I get 32bit to see
>all 4g of ram ?

You need PAE kernel ("apt-cache search kernel|grep pae") which PAE stands for Physical Address Extention.

But be warned, IMHO this PAE kernel would not cut it for some application, to name one, java virtual apps. Your best bet for this situation would still 64-bit operating system.

Just for sharing, I had situation like this once, running Zimbra mail server (which is Java apps). I resolved it with 64-bit OS and apps.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM

You will get better performance from 64 bit OS and I am yet to find application that gave problems

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Chris Jones

corneil@tsctech.com wrote:
> You will get better performance from 64 bit OS and I am yet to find application that gave problems

Agreed. Best solution is to just use the 64 bit version.

Any particular reason you want the 32 bit version ? Note that the 64 bit
version can run 32 bit applications as well.