Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Ian Coetzee

Default recovery console (gimme a huge round of lol's)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Fred Roller <froller@tnclimited.com> wrote:
> I imagine appending single to the kernel line during boot still works to
> get you to a console as root and no password. *Then you should be able
> to change the password of the user you created, just write down ;-p

And how would I go about appending "single" to the kernel line, if I
cant get into the grub boot menu?

write down I will do

I was also thinking of booting a live distro and the chrooting into
the linux environment... however I have no clue as to which distro
will live boot into a CLI :S

Regards
Ian

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 AM
James Michael Fultz

* Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> [2009-11-11 08:03 +0200]:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Fred Roller <froller@tnclimited.com> wrote:
> > I imagine appending single to the kernel line during boot still works to
> > get you to a console as root and no password. *Then you should be able
> > to change the password of the user you created, just write down ;-p
> >

> And how would I go about appending "single" to the kernel line, if I
> cant get into the grub boot menu?

Hold Shift as soon as you see "GRUB" during boot.

> write down I will do
>
> I was also thinking of booting a live distro and the chrooting into
> the linux environment... however I have no clue as to which distro
> will live boot into a CLI :S

You could also edit the shadow password file directly leaving the field
where the encrypted password is stored empty.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM, James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> [2009-11-11 08:03 +0200]:
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Fred Roller <froller@tnclimited.com> wrote:
>> > I imagine appending single to the kernel line during boot still works to
>> > get you to a console as root and no password. *Then you should be able
>> > to change the password of the user you created, just write down ;-p
>> >

>> And how would I go about appending "single" to the kernel line, if I
>> cant get into the grub boot menu?
>
> Hold Shift as soon as you see "GRUB" during boot.

Thats the this, I dont see a GRUB display (as 9.10 defaults to GRUB2,
and, correct me if i'm wrong, in grub2 you need to enable the grub
timer)

Regards

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM, James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> [2009-11-11 08:03 +0200]:
>>> >

>>> And how would I go about appending "single" to the kernel line, if I
>>> cant get into the grub boot menu?
>>
>> Hold Shift as soon as you see "GRUB" during boot.
>
> Thats the this, I dont see a GRUB display (as 9.10 defaults to GRUB2,
> and, correct me if i'm wrong, in grub2 you need to enable the grub
> timer)

Thanks to all the suggestions.

I finally logged into the machine in recovery mode (thank you James
for that "shift" suggestion) and saw where I made my mistake... I made
the username "admininstrator" instead of "administrator" (notice the
extra "n") :S

this problem is solved then

Regards
Ian