Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Ian Coetzee

Default recovery console (gimme a huge round of lol's)

Hi all

Funny thing happened this morning. Yesterday I install ubuntu server
on a server. This morning when I tried to log on, I completely forgot
what I made the username AND password :S I have a fair idea, I placed
a capital where there should not be one.

Is there any way I can get into the recovery console with grub2
(without logging in to change the settings)?

Anybody got me another idea?

btw, I know I can reinstall but that is work, and I am lazy

Regards
Ian

Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Fred Roller

Ian Coetzee wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Funny thing happened this morning. Yesterday I install ubuntu server
> on a server. This morning when I tried to log on, I completely forgot
> what I made the username AND password :S I have a fair idea, I placed
> a capital where there should not be one.
>
> Is there any way I can get into the recovery console with grub2
> (without logging in to change the settings)?
>
> Anybody got me another idea?
>
> btw, I know I can reinstall but that is work, and I am lazy
>
> Regards
> Ian

I imagine appending single to the kernel line during boot still works to
get you to a console as root and no password. Then you should be able
to change the password of the user you created, just write down ;-p

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."