Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Vitorio Okio

Default weird folder with ms printer drivers in my home folder

All at a sudden I've found a strange folder in /home on my Jaunty.

The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name. It
contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386. Each of those in their turn
contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and .inf
files. According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of months
old.

The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these are
files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers."

I cannot imagine how possibly this crap could happen in my /home on a
pure Linux laptop that is operated within a pure Linux network
environment.

Any suggestions folks? Should I be worried about integrity of my little
network?

Though I do not see how possibly this junk could be used withing Ubuntu,
especially considering its weird location in /home folder.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Mark Traceur

> The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name. It
> contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386. Each of those in their turn
> contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and .inf
> files. According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of months
> old.
>
> The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these are
> files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers."

A....virus? Do you perchance have WINE? Run any strange programs recently?

And you haven't done anything with printers recently, have you?

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Fedora 12 optimized for Atom-powered netbooks -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a2xjh/fedora_12_optimized_for_atompowered_netbooks/

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Vitorio Okio

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:24:40 -0800, Mark Traceur wrote:

>> The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name.
>> It contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386. Each of those in their
>> turn contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and
>> .inf files. According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of
>> months old.
>>
>> The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these
>> are files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers."
>
> A....virus?

I do not dare to state this. A virus on Linux?.. It's easier for me to
state "a mystery". :-)

> Do you perchance have WINE?

Yes, I do. But the only thing I've ever used it for is to run Kaluach, a
Jewish calendar program. I run it on my desktop with Hardy on it and
nothing similar (I mean the mentioned MS crap) found there.

> Run any strange programs recently?

No, if I ever run anything it's usually comes from Synaptic. I'm pretty
conservative in this regard.

> And you haven't done anything with printers recently, have you?

I printed out a page a couple of days ago and this was the first time for
over a year that I printed anything from my laptop.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Rashkae

Vitorio Okio wrote:
> All at a sudden I've found a strange folder in /home on my Jaunty.
>
> The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name. It
> contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386. Each of those in their turn
> contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and .inf
> files. According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of months
> old.
>
> The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these are
> files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers."
>
> I cannot imagine how possibly this crap could happen in my /home on a
> pure Linux laptop that is operated within a pure Linux network
> environment.
>
> Any suggestions folks? Should I be worried about integrity of my little
> network?
>
> Though I do not see how possibly this junk could be used withing Ubuntu,
> especially considering its weird location in /home folder.

I've been compromised by a worm before, and well know it's possible, but
this doesn't look anything like that.

If I were to make a wild arse guess, I think you must at some time have
installed a package that provides universal Cups printer driver for
windows network clients. I'm not at all certain the files are supposed
to be located in /home, but perhaps they got moved there by accident?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Rashkae

Rashkae wrote:
> Vitorio Okio wrote:
>> All at a sudden I've found a strange folder in /home on my Jaunty.
>>
>> The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name. It
>> contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386. Each of those in their turn
>> contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and .inf
>> files. According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of months
>> old.
>>
>> The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these are
>> files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers."
>>
>> I cannot imagine how possibly this crap could happen in my /home on a
>> pure Linux laptop that is operated within a pure Linux network
>> environment.
>>
>> Any suggestions folks? Should I be worried about integrity of my little
>> network?
>>
>> Though I do not see how possibly this junk could be used withing Ubuntu,
>> especially considering its weird location in /home folder.
>
> I've been compromised by a worm before, and well know it's possible, but
> this doesn't look anything like that.
>
> If I were to make a wild arse guess, I think you must at some time have
> installed a package that provides universal Cups printer driver for
> windows network clients. I'm not at all certain the files are supposed
> to be located in /home, but perhaps they got moved there by accident?

Nope, that's not it, the cups windows driver is i386 only.... so I think
you must at some point in time have connected to a printer from windows
via samba, with administrative rights, and uploaded the driver, which
should have gone into /var/lib/samba/printers