Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Rashkae

Default Grub behaves non-deterministic

Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Karmic, I have following options in /etc/default/grub:
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>
> This is pretty much the default setting from the installation. With this
> setting, I would expect grub to show the menu for 2 seconds and then proceed
> the boot with the default unless the user selected a different entry.
>
> What I actually see is:
>
> 1. grub shows the menu, but never continues the boot unless I select
> some entry manually
> 2. grub don't show any menu at all and continues boot immediately.
>
> It seems to be random, which of those two options grub choose. I have never
> seen such behavior with grub-legacy.
>
> BTW: Karmic is the only OS on this box.
>
> Any ideas?

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

causes grub to boot right away with no menu. I think it gets made the
default like that if you only have 1 operating system. Comment it out
to see the menu with a timeout.

Grub2 knows if it fails to boot for some reason (or maybe it happens if
the shutdown isn't clean?) and on the next boot attempt, the user is
brought to a menu with no timeout.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Goh Lip

Rashkae wrote:

> Grub2 knows if it fails to boot for some reason (or maybe it happens if
> the shutdown isn't clean?) and on the next boot attempt, the user is
> brought to a menu with no timeout.

Yes, and to circumvent this (if you really want to), comment out

recordfail
save_env recordfail

Regards,
Goh Lip

Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Josef Wolf

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:30:19AM +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
> > Grub2 knows if it fails to boot for some reason (or maybe it happens if
> > the shutdown isn't clean?) and on the next boot attempt, the user is
> > brought to a menu with no timeout.
> Yes, and to circumvent this (if you really want to), comment out
>
> recordfail
> save_env recordfail

Thanks for the pointer!

Unfortunately, this setting is in /etc/grub.d/10_linux. I'd rather not
modify this file since a modification would prevent it to be updated in
future upgrades. Any chances that this setting would be moved to
/etc/default/grub in some future release?