Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Josef Wolf

Default Grub behaves non-deterministic

Hello,

In Karmic, I have following options in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

This is pretty much the default setting from the installation. With this
setting, I would expect grub to show the menu for 2 seconds and then proceed
the boot with the default unless the user selected a different entry.

What I actually see is:

1. grub shows the menu, but never continues the boot unless I select
some entry manually
2. grub don't show any menu at all and continues boot immediately.

It seems to be random, which of those two options grub choose. I have never
seen such behavior with grub-legacy.

BTW: Karmic is the only OS on this box.

Any ideas?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
bqz69

> In Karmic, I have following options in /etc/default/grub:
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

should be:

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0