Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Kit computer

I found this an interesting computer:

Barebones > Intel Based Kits
Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom
1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU

It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.

Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I found this an interesting computer:
>

> Barebones > Intel Based Kits
> Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom
> 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU
>
> It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.
>
> Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?

I'd bet you could. Where did you find this? I've been considering
purchasing a decent little ITX PC for an experiment, but I just haven't
gotten around to looking just yet

--
Andrew

Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Wade Smart

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I found this an interesting computer:
>>

>> Barebones > Intel Based Kits
>> Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom
>> 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU
>>
>> It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.
>>
>> Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?
>
> I'd bet you could. Where did you find this? I've been considering
> purchasing a decent little ITX PC for an experiment, but I just haven't
> gotten around to looking just yet

I built 110 hundred Shuttle X27D's all with Ubuntu 8.04 on them. The
atom isnt the fastest but for simple everyday stuff, web surfing,
emailing, spread sheet, writing doc's - is great. I run 23" screens and
wireless keyboards and mouse on these and the little pc is hidden. Even
built one for my parents.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I found this an interesting computer:
>>

>> Barebones > Intel Based Kits
>> Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom
>> 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU
>>
>> It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.
>>
>> Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?
>
> I'd bet you could. Where did you find this? I've been considering
> purchasing a decent little ITX PC for an experiment, but I just haven't
> gotten around to looking just yet

Try WWW.tigerdirect.com and look for computer kits. They have
quite a few.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Wade Smart wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 16:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> I found this an interesting computer:
>>>

>>> Barebones > Intel Based Kits
>>> Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom
>>> 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU
>>>
>>> It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.
>>>
>>> Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?
>> I'd bet you could. Where did you find this? I've been considering
>> purchasing a decent little ITX PC for an experiment, but I just haven't
>> gotten around to looking just yet
>>

> I built 110 hundred Shuttle X27D's all with Ubuntu 8.04 on them. The
> atom isnt the fastest but for simple everyday stuff, web surfing,
> emailing, spread sheet, writing doc's - is great. I run 23" screens and
> wireless keyboards and mouse on these and the little pc is hidden. Even
> built one for my parents.
>
> Wade

Thanks that is a great commendation for the computer!

karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Wade Smart

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Andrew Farris wrote:

>>> I'd bet you could. Where did you find this? I've been considering
>>> purchasing a decent little ITX PC for an experiment, but I just haven't
>>> gotten around to looking just yet
>>>

>> I built 110 hundred Shuttle X27D's all with Ubuntu 8.04 on them. The
>> atom isnt the fastest but for simple everyday stuff, web surfing,
>> emailing, spread sheet, writing doc's - is great. I run 23" screens and
>> wireless keyboards and mouse on these and the little pc is hidden. Even
>> built one for my parents.
>>
>> Wade
>>
> Thanks that is a great commendation for the computer!
>
> karl

I personally like the Shuttle but I have tried Jetway, ASRock and
Foxconn. Recently I built several Cappuccino GX1 pc's and Cappccino
Digital Engine pc's. After working with all of these - Shuttle is my
choice for my own personal systems.

Wade

Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Wade Smart wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:

>>> I built 110 hundred Shuttle X27D's all with Ubuntu 8.04 on them. The
>>> atom isnt the fastest but for simple everyday stuff, web surfing,
>>> emailing, spread sheet, writing doc's - is great. I run 23" screens and
>>> wireless keyboards and mouse on these and the little pc is hidden. Even
>>> built one for my parents.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>
>> Thanks that is a great commendation for the computer!
>>
>> karl
>>

> I personally like the Shuttle but I have tried Jetway, ASRock and
> Foxconn. Recently I built several Cappuccino GX1 pc's and Cappccino
> Digital Engine pc's. After working with all of these - Shuttle is my
> choice for my own personal systems.
>
> Wade

Thanks Wade. I will buy the Shuttle. My wife's computer is 10
years old. It is remarkable it has lasted this long!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Verde Denim

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

* * * *I found this an interesting computer:

Barebones > Intel Based Kits

Intel 945GCLF2 Barebone - Intel 945GCLF2 Mini ITX /w Atom

1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2, Case w/ 250 Watt PSU

* * * *It appears the CPU is wired onto the mother board.

Could I load Ubuntu on this computer?

73 Karl

Karl
I don't see why not, although I like the AMD version a bit better...

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.