FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I have a system with 2 hard disks. I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 x64 on
> the first hard disk, and I want to have a second installation of it on
> the second hard disk.
>
>
> The problem is that when I install it on the second hard disk, it
> installs GRUB on the MBR of the first hard disk (erasing access to the
> Ubuntu 9.10 installation in the first hard disk), and does not install
> GRUB on the MBR of the second hard disk, where the installation takes
> place.
>
>
> How can I have two installations of Ubuntu on two separate hard disks
> with the equivalent two GRUB installations on the MBRs of the two hard
> disks?

At installation to the second drive, there is an advanced button, just
after selecting your partition to install, to select where you want to
install your grub to. Select 'sdb'. (later, you'll get a warning "that
is a bad thing to do")

Now since you can now boot to ubuntu on second hard drive, to make sure
you have the mbr on both, at terminal


sudo grub-install --root-directory=/dev/sdax /dev/sda
sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

and sdax (substitute 'x' with real number), is partition on sda where
you installed your boot of first hard disk.


Good luck.

Regards,
Goh Lip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

Goh Lip wrote:

> At installation to the second drive, there is an advanced button, just
> after selecting your partition to install, to select where you want to
> install your grub to. Select 'sdb'. (later, you'll get a warning "that
> is a bad thing to do")
>
> Now since you can now boot to ubuntu on second hard drive, to make sure
> you have the mbr on both, at terminal
>
>
> sudo grub-install --root-directory=/dev/sdax /dev/sda
> sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
>
> and sdax (substitute 'x' with real number), is partition on sda where
> you installed your boot of first hard disk.


Ioannis, later when booted to ubuntu on sda, at terminal

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

to make sure it includes entries for sdb as well.
I assume sdb ubuntu has entries for sda ubuntu in it.
If not, do likewise at sdb.

Regards,
Goh Lip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Don't know that you even need two MBR's but no expert here. Curious, have you ran sudo update-grub after installing. Perhaps on both drives.

Leonard, yes, it is normally not necessary to have mbr set to different
disks/drives, but I think it is a good practice, particularly in case of
disk failures.

Also, there might be some form of 'pre-boot', usually in the form of
bios tweaking, but also where there are multi-OS situations where having
a 'pre-boot' may save some hassles of updating boots, like kernel
changes of many different OS. Well, having a mbr on a disk can also make
the disk 'portable' and transferable to other systems as well.

Regards,
Goh Lip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Curious, have you ran sudo update-grub after installing. Perhaps on both drives.


"update-grub" consists of other processes as well as "grub-mkconfig".
"grub-mkconfig" would be more 'to the point' without other unnecessary
steps. Noted that 'update-grub" was withdrawn from earlier revisions but
has been resuscitated for beta4 (the current one). My guess is that it
was one of the most familiar command in grub-legacy and will help to
adjust to the newer grub2 (but that is just my guess). And yes, it'll work.

Regards,
Goh Lip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.10 side by side (twice), on different hard disks

Goh Lip wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>
>> Don't know that you even need two MBR's but no expert here. Curious, have you ran sudo update-grub after installing. Perhaps on both drives.
>>
> Leonard, yes, it is normally not necessary to have mbr set to different
> disks/drives, but I think it is a good practice, particularly in case of
> disk failures.
>
> Also, there might be some form of 'pre-boot', usually in the form of
> bios tweaking, but also where there are multi-OS situations where having
> a 'pre-boot' may save some hassles of updating boots, like kernel
> changes of many different OS. Well, having a mbr on a disk can also make
> the disk 'portable' and transferable to other systems as well.
>
> Regards,
> Goh Lip
>
>
>
Thanks for the confirmation although I never think in terms of having a
portable drive as
all mine are fixed in place. Your second para just lost me(bios
tweaking and pre-boot) as did
your reply about update-grub and reason why I didn't reply. One thing I
need to do sometimes
is read up on grub2 and have retained a post where a link info was
mentioned. Grub-legacy
was simple enough for me and always just worked; thank goodness grub2
just worked on my
two karmic beta installs and required no interaction on my part. Your
needs and interaction
go well beyond my needs and understanding so keep up the good work.

Len

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org