Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 AM
vsrk sarma

Default problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10 (Tom H)

while following this* link: http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :
to read more about GRUB 2 I found I did not have grub-pc
tools.
However after installing grub-pc tools booting* got stuck

*menu page; any selection ended up in :
"ERROR 11: unrecognized device".
However after editing first line of GRUB 2, which was:
root* <disk hardware no.>
root (hd0,5)
I could boot into Linux partition and run 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy'

which made booting normal with new look booting menu page.
Is this normal behaviour?
--
vsrk sarma

Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Tom H

> while following this* link: http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :
> to read more about GRUB 2 I found I did not have grub-pc
> tools.
> However after installing grub-pc tools booting* got stuck
> *menu page; any selection ended up in :
> "ERROR 11: unrecognized device".
> However after editing first line of GRUB 2, which was:
> root* <disk hardware no.>
> root (hd0,5)
> I could boot into Linux partition and run 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy'
> which made booting normal with new look booting menu page.
> Is this normal behaviour?

When you upgrade from 9.04, you still had Grub 1 and that is normal.

Installing grub-pc upgraded you to Grub 2.

"root <disk hardware no.>" is a bug that I thought had been eradicated...

Having to run upgrade-from-grub-legacy means that you chose "Chainload
from menu.lst?" when installing grub-pc.

So it is normal. Glad all's well.