Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Zaki Akhmad

Default Error After Upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic

Hello,

I am having this error after the grub

<code>
udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
udevadm settle is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
svgalib: cannot open /dev/mem
</code>

after I upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic. I upgraded with
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Any hints what should I do?

--
Zaki Akhmad

Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
NoOp

On 11/10/2009 12:22 AM, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having this error after the grub
>
> <code>
> udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
> udevadm settle is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
> svgalib: cannot open /dev/mem
> </code>
>
> after I upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic. I upgraded with
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get upgrade
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Any hints what should I do?

Sure: Google it.
<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q="udevadm+trigger+is+not+permitt ed+while+udev+is+unconfigured">

First link:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/devmapper/+bug/358654>
which provides some history and possible resolutions.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Rashkae

Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having this error after the grub
>
> <code>
> udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
> udevadm settle is not permitted while udev is unconfigured.
> svgalib: cannot open /dev/mem
> </code>
>
> after I upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic. I upgraded with
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get upgrade
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Any hints what should I do?

Sorry I can't really help with your problem, as the horse has left the
barn, so to speak..... but for future reference, and anyone reading
this, *never* dist-upgrade ubuntu. (maybe ubuntu should patch apt-get
to throw up warnings when people try this?)

Rather, use one of the ubuntu upgrade scripts, available in gui and
console flavors (usually for Ubuntu server systems)