Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Rashkae

Default Yup, Karmic is somewhat of a disaster

And no, I'm not complaining about some bug that wrecked my install or
upgrade. At least that part seems to be really smooth.

But the new gnome is a wasteland. Many components have been updated
that are not close to being ready for prime time. Some examples:

GDM - lots of threads already about how hard it is to control the face
browser. What about enabling xdmcp, or disabling suspend/hybernate on
systems where does might cause trouble? (without remove the shutdown
buttons entirely, though that might be the best option). GDM was
completely replaced, but no framework or gui was put in place for
configuration, and documentation is well hidden.

Same thing with configuring sounds.. don't like the sound theme? turn
all sounds off.

And last on my discovery, policykit was replaced with a new framework,
but no gui configuration tool whatsoever. Want to control what users
have permission to do what? get your text editor out.

Not much to be done about any of these. It's painfully obvious to me
that the new gnome and many of it's components weren't close to ready
for non-developer release, but for Ubuntu's release schedule, the only
option would have been to hold back all of gnome, which would probably
defeat the purpose of a release entirely.

</rant>

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 03:22 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> And no, I'm not complaining about some bug that wrecked my install or
> upgrade. At least that part seems to be really smooth.
>
> But the new gnome is a wasteland. Many components have been updated
> that are not close to being ready for prime time. Some examples:
>
> GDM - lots of threads already about how hard it is to control the face
> browser. What about enabling xdmcp, or disabling suspend/hybernate on
> systems where does might cause trouble? (without remove the shutdown
> buttons entirely, though that might be the best option). GDM was
> completely replaced, but no framework or gui was put in place for
> configuration, and documentation is well hidden.

You won't get much of an argument there... However there is a very
limited gui: System|Administration|Login Screen. But it's pretty much
worthless except for turning on autologin.

> Same thing with configuring sounds.. don't like the sound theme? turn
> all sounds off.

System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects
Bark
Drip
Glass
Sonar

And of course, there's always:
$ sudo apt-get install sound-theme-freedesktop
etc. But then you'd need to figure out how to get those to show up in
System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects is beyond me :-)

> And last on my discovery, policykit was replaced with a new framework,
> but no gui configuration tool whatsoever. Want to control what users
> have permission to do what? get your text editor out.

System|Administration|Authorizations

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Rashkae

NoOp wrote:

> System|Administration|Authorizations

That is no longer there in a fresh install of Karmic, neither is
polkit-gnome-authorization. Do you have them left over from an upgrade?
Can you confirm that changing policies still works? Supposedly, the
old policykit has been updated to policykit-1 and there was no gui for
it yet.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Douglas Pollard

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/09/2009 03:22 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>
>> And no, I'm not complaining about some bug that wrecked my install or
>> upgrade. At least that part seems to be really smooth.
>>
>> But the new gnome is a wasteland. Many components have been updated
>> that are not close to being ready for prime time. Some examples:
>>
>> GDM - lots of threads already about how hard it is to control the face
>> browser. What about enabling xdmcp, or disabling suspend/hybernate on
>> systems where does might cause trouble? (without remove the shutdown
>> buttons entirely, though that might be the best option). GDM was
>> completely replaced, but no framework or gui was put in place for
>> configuration, and documentation is well hidden.
>>

> You won't get much of an argument there... However there is a very
> limited gui: System|Administration|Login Screen. But it's pretty much
> worthless except for turning on autologin.
>

>> Same thing with configuring sounds.. don't like the sound theme? turn
>> all sounds off.
>>

> System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects
> Bark
> Drip
> Glass
> Sonar
>
> And of course, there's always:
> $ sudo apt-get install sound-theme-freedesktop
> etc. But then you'd need to figure out how to get those to show up in
> System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects is beyond me :-)
>

>> And last on my discovery, policykit was replaced with a new framework,
>> but no gui configuration tool whatsoever. Want to control what users
>> have permission to do what? get your text editor out.
>>

> System|Administration|Authorizations
>

>> Not much to be done about any of these. It's painfully obvious to me
>> that the new gnome and many of it's components weren't close to ready
>> for non-developer release, but for Ubuntu's release schedule, the only
>> option would have been to hold back all of gnome, which would probably
>> defeat the purpose of a release entirely.
>>
>> </rant>

I don't much like the software center arrangement. All the available
software is listed but you can't tell which are and which aren't
installed. Unlike the 9.04 you just looked at which items are checked to
see what is installed. Looks to me like you have to go back and forth
between installed software and the get free software list. It's not a
big deal but it is an aggravation. If I'm missing something somebody let
me know.

Doug

Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Rashkae

Douglas Pollard wrote:

> I don't much like the software center arrangement. All the available
> software is listed but you can't tell which are and which aren't
> installed. Unlike the 9.04 you just looked at which items are checked to
> see what is installed. Looks to me like you have to go back and forth
> between installed software and the get free software list. It's not a
> big deal but it is an aggravation. If I'm missing something somebody let
> me know.
>
> Doug

The ones that are installed have a green check mark at the bottom right
of the icon. But I thought the whole purpose of the new software centre
was to have all package management done from 1 tool. I fail to see how
this new software centre is any more functional than the old add/remove,
and certainly doesn't seem to offer any kind of replacement for synaptic.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
dean

> And of course, there's always:
> $ sudo apt-get install sound-theme-freedesktop
> etc. But then you'd need to figure out how to get those to show up in
> System|Preferences|Sound|Sound Effects is beyond me :-)

Does anyone know how to customise sounds manually in Ubuntu?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 04:08 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>>

>> System|Administration|Authorizations
>>

> That is no longer there in a fresh install of Karmic, neither is
> polkit-gnome-authorization. Do you have them left over from an upgrade?
> Can you confirm that changing policies still works? Supposedly, the
> old policykit has been updated to policykit-1 and there was no gui for
> it yet.

No. Fresh install on the test machine & on the laptop. Could be that
they were hidden in the menu's; first thing that I always do on a new
install is right-click Applications|Edit Menus and turn on all the
'hidden' things in each menu.

Ah... my bad. On the laptop I'd done a fresh install & then reinstalled
all of my previous 9.04 applications via Synaptic (File|Read Markings).
My apologies for the confusion.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Rashkae

NoOp wrote:

> Ah... my bad. On the laptop I'd done a fresh install & then reinstalled
> all of my previous 9.04 applications via Synaptic (File|Read Markings).
> My apologies for the confusion.

No problem, if I can just figure out what package it is, then confirm
that it does, in fact still work with the new polkit, I'll be quite happy.

Ufortunately, I'm wondering if installing the old policykit overtop the
new polkit-1 might rather lead to tears. Still, need to test.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 AM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 05:29 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>

>> Ah... my bad. On the laptop I'd done a fresh install & then reinstalled
>> all of my previous 9.04 applications via Synaptic (File|Read Markings).
>> My apologies for the confusion.
>>

> No problem, if I can just figure out what package it is, then confirm
> that it does, in fact still work with the new polkit, I'll be quite happy.

No problem: polkit-gnome-authorization

Mind you, I've not tested, just know that it brings up the polkit gui
(I'm testing other apps tonight, so don't have time to test further).

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Rashkae

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/09/2009 05:29 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Ah... my bad. On the laptop I'd done a fresh install & then reinstalled
>>> all of my previous 9.04 applications via Synaptic (File|Read Markings).
>>> My apologies for the confusion.
>>>

>> No problem, if I can just figure out what package it is, then confirm
>> that it does, in fact still work with the new polkit, I'll be quite happy.
>
> No problem: polkit-gnome-authorization

I installed the package and got the gui, but it no longer does anything.

Oh well, editing the policies manually is really not all that
complicated.. there's just one thing I haven't figured out yet.

And the documentation for the new gdm is pretty good.
Even without the GUI, I can still make it sing to my tune..

as for sounds, I'll suffer.

All in all, this is great beta product.