Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Default Linksys WUSB54GCV3 USB-WiFi stick

I bought the WUSB54GC after I read it functions well in a recent Ubuntu
Linux.

I have tested in 3 different PC's, all running 9.10 Karmic. After putting
the stick in the pc it will load rt2800usb which in its turn will load
rt2870.bin, a firmware library.

After loading I get:

lsusb: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
(That is all I get in 9.04, in 9.10 I also get the following)
iwconfig: wlan0: IEEE 80211bgn
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan shows no networks allthough I can see at least 2
networks with an other laptop, I'm only a few meters from the router.
"iwlist wlan0 freq" and "iwlist wlan0 channel" give the normal
frequenties and channels, among those the frequenty and channel my router
uses (I tried different channels with my router)

So, I cannot connect to my network, even if I fill in the name of my
network as if it is a invisible network I cannot get a connection.

Anybody an idea what I can try next?

Aart

Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Colin Law

2009/11/9 Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl>:
> I bought the WUSB54GC after I read it functions well in a recent Ubuntu
> Linux.
>
> I have tested in 3 different PC's, all running 9.10 Karmic. After putting
> the stick in the pc it will load rt2800usb which in its turn will load
> rt2870.bin, a firmware library.
>
> After loading I get:
>
> lsusb: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
> (That is all I get in 9.04, in 9.10 I also get the following)
> iwconfig: wlan0: IEEE 80211bgn
> sudo iwlist wlan0 scan shows no networks allthough I can see at least 2
> networks with an other laptop, I'm only a few meters from the router.
> "iwlist wlan0 freq" and "iwlist wlan0 channel" give the normal
> frequenties and channels, among those the frequenty and channel my router
> uses (I tried different channels with my router)
>
> So, I cannot connect to my network, even if I fill in the name of my
> network as if it is a invisible network I cannot get a connection.
>
> Anybody an idea what I can try next?

I successfully used instructions at
http://eksfiles.net/2008/01/using-the-linksys-wusb54g-v1-or-v4-with-ubuntu-gutsy/
for setting up a WUSB54G (v1) on 9.04, using ndiswrapper (whatever
that is). I have seen reports that this will also work for 54GC
though I cannot vouch for this. Google for 'ubuntu wusb54gc' yields
loads of results.

Colin

Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:29:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> 2009/11/9 Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl>:
>> I bought the WUSB54GC after I read it functions well in a recent Ubuntu
>> Linux.
>>
>> I have tested in 3 different PC's, all running 9.10 Karmic. After
>> putting the stick in the pc it will load rt2800usb which in its turn
>> will load rt2870.bin, a firmware library.
>>
>> After loading I get:
>>
>> lsusb: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
>> (That is all I get in 9.04, in 9.10 I also get the following) iwconfig:
>> wlan0: IEEE 80211bgn
>> sudo iwlist wlan0 scan shows no networks allthough I can see at least 2
>> networks with an other laptop, I'm only a few meters from the router.
>> "iwlist wlan0 freq" and "iwlist wlan0 channel" give the normal
>> frequenties and channels, among those the frequenty and channel my
>> router uses (I tried different channels with my router)
>>
>> So, I cannot connect to my network, even if I fill in the name of my
>> network as if it is a invisible network I cannot get a connection.
>>
>> Anybody an idea what I can try next?
>>

> I successfully used instructions at
> http://eksfiles.net/2008/01/using-the-linksys-wusb54g-v1-or-v4-with-
ubuntu-gutsy/
> for setting up a WUSB54G (v1) on 9.04, using ndiswrapper (whatever that
> is). I have seen reports that this will also work for 54GC though I
> cannot vouch for this. Google for 'ubuntu wusb54gc' yields loads of
> results.
>
> Colin

I might have to go that way, but it seems a pity. Version 1 of this stick
is reported from various sides to function well in 9.04 and 9.10. No I'm
stuck with version 3. It is not recognized in 9.04, but in 9.10 it is
recognized, the Ralink drivers are loaded but they don't seem to work
quite right. So I would expect Ralink to work on a new version of the
driver, but do they and when will it be ready?

Aart

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
NoOp

On 11/10/2009 07:27 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:29:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> I successfully used instructions at
>> http://eksfiles.net/2008/01/using-the-linksys-wusb54g-v1-or-v4-with-
> ubuntu-gutsy/
>> for setting up a WUSB54G (v1) on 9.04, using ndiswrapper (whatever that
>> is). I have seen reports that this will also work for 54GC though I
>> cannot vouch for this. Google for 'ubuntu wusb54gc' yields loads of
>> results.
>>
>> Colin
>
> I might have to go that way, but it seems a pity. Version 1 of this stick
> is reported from various sides to function well in 9.04 and 9.10. No I'm
> stuck with version 3. It is not recognized in 9.04, but in 9.10 it is
> recognized, the Ralink drivers are loaded but they don't seem to work
> quite right. So I would expect Ralink to work on a new version of the
> driver, but do they and when will it be ready?

Have a look through some of these to see if you can spot a fix:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=WUSB54GC+%2Bkarmic&field.action s.search=Search>

Perhaps:
[Linksys WUSB54GC v3 (ID 1737:0077) doesn't work]

Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:50:31 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/10/2009 07:27 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:29:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>>> I successfully used instructions at
>>> http://eksfiles.net/2008/01/using-the-linksys-wusb54g-v1-or-v4-with-
>> ubuntu-gutsy/
>>> for setting up a WUSB54G (v1) on 9.04, using ndiswrapper (whatever
>>> that is). I have seen reports that this will also work for 54GC
>>> though I cannot vouch for this. Google for 'ubuntu wusb54gc' yields
>>> loads of results.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> I might have to go that way, but it seems a pity. Version 1 of this
>> stick is reported from various sides to function well in 9.04 and 9.10.
>> No I'm stuck with version 3. It is not recognized in 9.04, but in 9.10
>> it is recognized, the Ralink drivers are loaded but they don't seem to
>> work quite right. So I would expect Ralink to work on a new version of
>> the driver, but do they and when will it be ready?
>
> Have a look through some of these to see if you can spot a fix:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=WUSB54GC+%
2Bkarmic&field.actions.search=Search>

> Perhaps:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446889 [Linksys
> WUSB54GC v3 (ID 1737:0077) doesn't work]

Thank you NoOp. That is exactly the bug I have. I have subscibed to the
bug and given some comments. My impression is that it might get fixed
soon, so no need to go the ndiswrapper route.

Aart

Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Aart Koelewijn

Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:44:55 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:50:31 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>>> ubuntu-gutsy/

>>> I might have to go that way, but it seems a pity. Version 1 of this
>>> stick is reported from various sides to function well in 9.04 and
>>> 9.10. No I'm stuck with version 3. It is not recognized in 9.04, but
>>> in 9.10 it is recognized, the Ralink drivers are loaded but they don't
>>> seem to work quite right. So I would expect Ralink to work on a new
>>> version of the driver, but do they and when will it be ready?
>>
>> Have a look through some of these to see if you can spot a fix:
>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=WUSB54GC+%
> 2Bkarmic&field.actions.search=Search>
>>
>> Perhaps:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446889 [Linksys
>> WUSB54GC v3 (ID 1737:0077) doesn't work]
>
> Thank you NoOp. That is exactly the bug I have. I have subscibed to the
> bug and given some comments. My impression is that it might get fixed
> soon, so no need to go the ndiswrapper route.

Sorry for posting this twice, I got an email from the list that the
message could not be posted to the list, so I tried again. I read and
write to the newsgroup, prefer it above a mailinglist, but something
seems to have been wront with the interface between mailinglist and
newsgroup. Hope it is solved.

Anyway, a patch for this bug has been posted on launchpad, I tried it and
so far it works for me, hope it will find its way into the distribution
soon. for me it is case closed ;-)

Aart

Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 PM
NoOp

On 11/11/2009 10:37 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:44:55 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:50:31 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>>> Perhaps:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446889 [Linksys
>>> WUSB54GC v3 (ID 1737:0077) doesn't work]
>>
>> Thank you NoOp. That is exactly the bug I have. I have subscibed to the
>> bug and given some comments. My impression is that it might get fixed
>> soon, so no need to go the ndiswrapper route.
>>

> Sorry for posting this twice, I got an email from the list that the
> message could not be posted to the list, so I tried again. I read and
> write to the newsgroup, prefer it above a mailinglist, but something
> seems to have been wront with the interface between mailinglist and
> newsgroup. Hope it is solved.
>
> Anyway, a patch for this bug has been posted on launchpad, I tried it and
> so far it works for me, hope it will find its way into the distribution
> soon. for me it is case closed ;-)

So we can tag this subject line as [Resolved] eh?

Thanks for the followup + noting that the patch worked.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:52:51 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/11/2009 10:37 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

>>> Thank you NoOp. That is exactly the bug I have. I have subscibed to
>>> the bug and given some comments. My impression is that it might get
>>> fixed soon, so no need to go the ndiswrapper route.
>>>

>> Sorry for posting this twice, I got an email from the list that the
>> message could not be posted to the list, so I tried again. I read and
>> write to the newsgroup, prefer it above a mailinglist, but something
>> seems to have been wront with the interface between mailinglist and
>> newsgroup. Hope it is solved.
>>
>> Anyway, a patch for this bug has been posted on launchpad, I tried it
>> and so far it works for me, hope it will find its way into the
>> distribution soon. for me it is case closed ;-)
>
> So we can tag this subject line as [Resolved] eh?
>
> Thanks for the followup + noting that the patch worked.

Sorry to say, but not quit. The only test I did yesterday was with an
unencrypted connection. I bought this stick because the old card I had in
that laptop only could do WEP 64 and me router does WEP 128 or better. So
today I tried an encrypted connection (WPA + WPA2) and that did not work.
I also got some strange errors in my syslog. So I'll have to run some
more tests and in my opinion the patch is not ready for release yet. I
have reported this back to launchpad off course, but I think we are on
the right road.

Aart

Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
NoOp

On 11/12/2009 10:48 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Sorry to say, but not quit. The only test I did yesterday was with an
> unencrypted connection. I bought this stick because the old card I had in
> that laptop only could do WEP 64 and me router does WEP 128 or better. So
> today I tried an encrypted connection (WPA + WPA2) and that did not work.
> I also got some strange errors in my syslog. So I'll have to run some
> more tests and in my opinion the patch is not ready for release yet. I
> have reported this back to launchpad off course, but I think we are on
> the right road.
>
> Aart

Do you have wapsupplicant installed?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/wpasupplicant