Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Rashkae

Default Start stop services controlled by upstart on karmic

What is the recommended best practice approach to disable services
controlled by upstart (in the /etc/init folder rather than /etc/init.d)

Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Tom H

> What is the recommended best practice approach to disable services
> controlled by upstart (in the /etc/init folder rather than /etc/init.d)

To start and stop them:

initctl [start|stop] <service>

They have unfortunately reversed the Ubuntu/Debian invoke-rc.d and
RHEL/Fedora service:
invoke-rc.d <service> [start|stop]
service <service> [start|stop]

But this was probably done because "start/stop" are symlinked to
"initctl" and you can just run "[start|stop] <service>". It is a pain
nonetheless when you get an error after "initctl <service>
[start|stop]" if your fingers are hard-wired to do the previous
invocations.

This is what I have done for avahi-daemon to disable it and start it
manually when needed:

I replaced:
start on ...
by:
start on (runlevel [!0123456])

This is my "recipe." I am not sure what the orthodox way is, and, if
it is documented, it is even better hidden than the Grub 2
documentation.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Rashkae

Tom H wrote:
>> What is the recommended best practice approach to disable services
>> controlled by upstart (in the /etc/init folder rather than /etc/init.d)
>

> To start and stop them:
>
> initctl [start|stop] <service>
>
> They have unfortunately reversed the Ubuntu/Debian invoke-rc.d and
> RHEL/Fedora service:
> invoke-rc.d <service> [start|stop]
> service <service> [start|stop]
>

> But this was probably done because "start/stop" are symlinked to
> "initctl" and you can just run "[start|stop] <service>". It is a pain
> nonetheless when you get an error after "initctl <service>
> [start|stop]" if your fingers are hard-wired to do the previous
> invocations.
>

> This is what I have done for avahi-daemon to disable it and start it
> manually when needed:
>
> I replaced:
> start on ...
> by:
> start on (runlevel [!0123456])
>
> This is my "recipe." I am not sure what the orthodox way is, and, if
> it is documented, it is even better hidden than the Grub 2
> documentation
.

Thanks Tom, that was very helpful.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 03:33 PM, Rashkae wrote:

> Thanks Tom, that was very helpful.

This might also be of interest:
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Tom H

> Thanks Tom, that was very helpful.

You're welcome.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Tom H

> This might also be of interest:
> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

As I said earlier, it is not easy to find good upstart info.

The page will hopefully be updated and expanded, as the Grub 2 have
since I last checked them out (at least the help one). When I first
read them (a while ago) there was just a description of the
/boot/grub/*, /etc/grub.d/*, and /etc/default/grub files. There is now
even a section on grub-rescue:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
(<rant>Why two different pages with one much worse than the other? The
DMRAID pages are even worse!</rant>)

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Tom H wrote:
>> Thanks Tom, that was very helpful.
>
> You're welcome.

Coming from Fedora I always use service (originally in a root terminal)
to start, stop or enquire the services running from /etc/init.d.
I found this works just as well in Karmic. It is easy and safe and
should be propagated.
Joep

Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Tom H wrote:
>>> Thanks Tom, that was very helpful.
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
> Coming from Fedora I always use service (originally in a root terminal)
> to start, stop or enquire the services running from /etc/init.d.
> I found this works just as well in Karmic. It is easy and safe and
> should be propagated.

Yes. I'm not quite sure when "service" became part of Ubuntu, but I think
it was Intrepid, and imo a very welcome addition. Prior to that I used to
suggest it, until somebody helpfully pointed out that I'd created my own
alias, and most users didn't have it :-)
--
derek

Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Tom H

>> Coming from Fedora I always use service (originally in a root terminal)
>> to start, stop or enquire the services running from /etc/init.d.
>> I found this works just as well in Karmic. It is easy and safe and
>> should be propagated.

> Yes. I'm not quite sure when "service" became part of Ubuntu, but I think
> it was Intrepid, and imo a very welcome addition. *Prior to that I used to
> suggest it, until somebody helpfully pointed out that I'd created my own
> alias, and most users didn't have it :-)

Apologies for the delayed response. Your email

I thought the Ubuntu/Debian equivalents of service and chkconfig were
invoke-rc.d and update-rc.d. I knew that there is a package to install
chkconfig but did not know that service was also available. It is
installed by sysvinit-utils so it may disappear once Ubuntu is totally
"upstarted..."

To Rashkae:

You could also remove the start stanza from whatever service you want
to start manually rather than stop it form starting at every level as
I had first emailed you - "start on (runlevel [!0123456])".