Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Looking for explanation of choices on "Prepare disk space" step in 9.10 install

David M. Karr wrote:
> I have Windows installed on a box. I want to install 9.10 on this box
> so I can choose which one to boot at restart. I'd like to partition the
> single disk so that more than half of the space is available for Ubuntu.
>
> I'm a relatively experienced Unix user, and I've been running 8.10 on
> another box for a while. That box is also running Windows, which I can
> choose at startup. I don't remember what the installation choices
> looked like for that old box, but the instructions I get when installing
> 9.10 are definitely somewhat different.
>
> I could make some guesses in the install, but when making partitioning
> decisions, I really don't want to guess. I've looked through the
> existing docs that I can find, and I really can't find anything that
> really makes it completely clear exactly what I need to do. The
> instructions on the Ubuntu site aren't clear enough for what I would
> think is an extremely critical point of the installation.
>
> So, on the "Prepare disk space" step, I have the choices of "Install
> them side by side, choosing between them each startup" and "Specify
> partitions manually (advanced)". This page also seems to imply that the
> default partitioning will divide the disk in half. I see that the
> little graphical area that shows how the disk will be divided has a
> movable divider, but I don't see anything that clearly states that
> whatever value I set it at will be used for the "Install them side by
> side" option. When I tried moving forward with the "Specify partitions
> manually (advanced") option, it replaced the simple partition map with
> all orange. The next page seems to give me the ability to repartition,
> but it seems relatively complicated, and I don't see clear indications
> on that page for exactly what I need to do.
>
> My drive is about 320gig. My best guess, if I had to proceed without
> any confirmation, is that I should be able to move the slider so that
> about 90g is used for Windows, and the rest for Ubuntu, and then the
> "install them side by side" choice will automatically repartition the
> drive that way (preserving the current contents of the drive, where I
> had Windows installed) and continue the install. I can't proceed from
> this step unless I'm sure this is what it will do.

First defrag your Windows. This gets it all back in a tidy mess.

With a LiveCD from Ubuntu 9.10 use Geparted to look at your
hard drive. Pay attention to all partitions. Then cut the 90
GB windows out of what is always /dev/sda1 partition. When
complete you will have a big empty partition, not where you
want it.

Move the partition out to the last partition. Then set it up
to use for many Ubuntu versions.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI