Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Al Plant

Default printcap file contents for lpr

Aloha,

I have a network of FreeBSD machines and I put a HP Netbook on it. I use
lpr for the printer on the lan and I need to look at a copy of the
/etc/printcap file for Ubuntu. The standard Unix /etc/printcap I use on
all the other boxes on the lan doesn't seem to work. It has been a long
time since I have had to use Linux and I dont remember the printcap
configuration.

Could someone give me a sample.

Thanks...

~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740
+ http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
+ http://aloha50.net - Supporting - FreeBSD 7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
< email: noc@hdk5.net >

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Florian Diesch

Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net> writes:

> I have a network of FreeBSD machines and I put a HP Netbook on it. I use
> lpr for the printer on the lan and I need to look at a copy of the
> /etc/printcap file for Ubuntu. The standard Unix /etc/printcap I use on
> all the other boxes on the lan doesn't seem to work. It has been a long
> time since I have had to use Linux and I dont remember the printcap
> configuration.

The default printer spooler for most Lionux distros (including Ubuntu)
is CUPS which doesn't use printcap (but provides one for other
programs).
In Ubuntu the package "lpr" provides BSD lpd

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Al Plant

Florian Diesch wrote:
> Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net> writes:
>
>> I have a network of FreeBSD machines and I put a HP Netbook on it. I use
>> lpr for the printer on the lan and I need to look at a copy of the
>> /etc/printcap file for Ubuntu. The standard Unix /etc/printcap I use on
>> all the other boxes on the lan doesn't seem to work. It has been a long
>> time since I have had to use Linux and I dont remember the printcap
>> configuration.
>
> The default printer spooler for most Lionux distros (including Ubuntu)
> is CUPS which doesn't use printcap (but provides one for other
> programs).
> In Ubuntu the package "lpr" provides BSD lpd
>

> Florian

Thanks.