Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Peter Risdon

Default Unable to change file permissions on UDISK

I see there has been a lot of discussion around the place about this
issue, but none of the forums or list threads I've seen offers a
solution. The behaviour is as follows:

$ ls -la /media/UDISK 2.0/filename
-rwxr-xr-x 1 peter peter 1676 2008-12-29 11:00 /media/UDISK 2.0/filename

$ [sudo] chmod -v 0700 /media/UDISK 2.0/filename
mode of `/media/UDISK 2.0/filename' changed to 0700 (rwx------)

$ ls -la /media/UDISK 2.0/filename
-rwxr-xr-x 1 peter peter 1676 2008-12-29 11:00 /media/UDISK 2.0/filename

$ mount
[snip]
/dev/sdc1 on /media/UDISK 2.0 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

My system:

$ uname -a
Linux peter-desktop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26
UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I prefer to keep the fs as vfat for portability. Any guidance on how to
change permissions on vfat udisks gratefully received.

TIA.

Peter Risdon.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com> [2009-11-06 12:17 +0000]:
> I see there has been a lot of discussion around the place about this
> issue, but none of the forums or list threads I've seen offers a
> solution. The behaviour is as follows:

[...]
> [snip]
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/UDISK 2.0 type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

[...]
> I prefer to keep the fs as vfat for portability. Any guidance on how to
> change permissions on vfat udisks gratefully received.

File and directory permissions cannot be changed on vfat after it is
mounted. Linux is simulating permissions on top of vfat while the
underlying filesystem does not support them.

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab>

See the part on ntfs/vfat in the section Options.