Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Allen Meyers

Default Installing VB on 9.10

I have tried after download both:
sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
sudo dpkg -i Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package virtualbox-3.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package virtualbox-3.0 has no installation candidate
allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i
Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing
Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
(--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
allen@allen-desktop:~$
Please advise

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Allen Meyers <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried after download both:
> sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> sudo dpkg -i Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package virtualbox-3.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package virtualbox-3.0 has no installation candidate
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i
> Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> dpkg: error processing
> Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> (--install):
> *cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> *Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> allen@allen-desktop:~$
> Please advise

Have you tried doing a 'sudo apt-get update' and then 'sudo apt-get
install virtualbox' (without the -3.0) ?

That worked for me.

>>root@ian-desktop:~# apt-get install virtualbox
>>Reading package lists... Done
>>Building dependency tree
>>Reading state information... Done
>>Note, selecting virtualbox-3.0 instead of virtualbox
>>virtualbox-3.0 is already the newest version.

Regards
Ian

Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Ian Coetzee

forgot to include the list address in my reply (see below)...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Ian Coetzee

Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Allen Meyers <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
> (20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted
>
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
> ## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic universe
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic universe
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates universe
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates universe
>
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
> ## security team.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic multiverse
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic multiverse
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates multiverse
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates multiverse
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
> ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> # deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
> # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
> ## 'partner' repository.
> ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
> ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
> [...]

please reply to the list, and not directly to me.

Just a thought, are you using a GUI, or are you on a CLI?

Regards

Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Fred Roller

Allen Meyers wrote:
> I have tried after download both:
> sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> sudo dpkg -i Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package virtualbox-3.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package virtualbox-3.0 has no installation candidate
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i
> Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> dpkg: error processing
> Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> allen@allen-desktop:~$
> Please advise
>

> Allen Meyers
> texas.chef94@gmail.com

Sounds like you are trying to install the VB from Sun directly. If you
want to use the OSE version native to the Repos then:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox

if on the other hand you want to install the from the repos the sun
version then go to this site:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

and scroll down to get the instruction for setting up your source list
and /then/:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.0

Hope this helps.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Allen Meyers wrote:

> I have tried after download both:
> sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> sudo dpkg -i Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package virtualbox-3.0 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package virtualbox-3.0 has no installation candidate

This should be true. The virtualbox on Ubuntu is virtualbox-ose. The full
virtualbox is only available from Sun. Add this file:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian karmic non-free

and rerun "apt-get update" (you should also get the PGP key as instructed on
Sun's download page).
--
derek

Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 09.11.2009, 08:22 -0500 schrieb Fred Roller:
> Sounds like you are trying to install the VB from Sun directly. If you
> want to use the OSE version native to the Repos then:
>
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox
not really, the package is called:

virtualbox-ose

ciao
oli

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 06:12 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Allen Meyers wrote:
>
>> I have tried after download both:
>> sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
>> sudo dpkg -i Downloads/virtualbox-3.0_3.0.10-54097_Ubuntu_karmic_i386.deb
>> allen@allen-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install virtualbox-3.0
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Package virtualbox-3.0 is not available, but is referred to by another
>> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>> is only available from another source
>> E: Package virtualbox-3.0 has no installation candidate
>
> This should be true. The virtualbox on Ubuntu is virtualbox-ose. The full
> virtualbox is only available from Sun. Add this file:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
> deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian karmic non-free
>
> and rerun "apt-get update" (you should also get the PGP key as instructed on
> Sun's download page).

Zkey, zkey! Don't forget z key! :-)

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

The Sun public key for apt-secure can be downloaded here. You can add
this key with

sudo apt-key add sun_vbox.asc

or combine downloading and registering:

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc
-O- | sudo apt-key add -

Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 11/09/2009 06:12 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> and rerun "apt-get update" (you should also get the PGP key as instructed
>> on Sun's download page).
>
> Zkey, zkey! Don't forget z key! :-)
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>
> The Sun public key for apt-secure can be downloaded here. You can add
> this key with
>
> sudo apt-key add sun_vbox.asc
>
> or combine downloading and registering:
>
> wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc
> -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Thanks for that. I left it as an exercise for the reader - meaning, I
didn't recall exactly, and couldn't remember _which_ page to find it on :-)
--
derek