Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 AM
James Michael Fultz

Default default shell in Ubuntu

* Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat@gmail.com> [2009-11-09 12:19 +0530]:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM, vsrk sarma <vsrksiva@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > First of all, pardon me for raising fundamental query.
> > I like now about default shell available in terminal mode.
> > It seems it is dash and NOT bash, as /usr/bin/sh links to /usr/bin/dash.
> > Is my premise correct?
> > If so in what way dash differs from bash?
> > Is any web link available to documentation on features and use of dash?
> >

> I have found this wierd too.
> Although I did not find any discernible difference during normal user
> operations, (looks like dash reads the .bashrc file too ;-)),
> I got into some issues when compiling a source code.
> Unlinking /bin/sh and linking it to /bin/bash solved the problem for me.

System default shell does equal user's shell.

Have a look at '/etc/passwd' and the SHELL environment variable.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Rashkae

vsrk sarma wrote:
> First of all, pardon me for raising fundamental query.
> I like now about default shell available in terminal mode.
> It seems it is dash and NOT bash, as /usr/bin/sh links to /usr/bin/dash.
> Is my premise correct?

Not quite.

The default shell for users should be /bin/bash (you can verify by
examining /etc/passwd file)

dash is meant to be non-interactive, and having so many features for an
interactive shell removed, is much faster than bash at executing shell
scripts. (most of which start with #!/bin/sh)

When the change was first introduced several versions of Ubuntu ago,
there were some conflicts with shell scripts that wrongly assumed
/bin/sh was bash and used non-posix complient syntax (sometimes called
bashisms.) Those should all be weeded out by now, and any shell script
you run across should either be Posix complient, or refers to bash by name.