Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 AM
vsrk sarma

Default default shell in Ubuntu

First of all, pardon me for raising fundamental query.
I like now about default shell available in terminal mode.
It seems it is dash and NOT bash, as /usr/bin/sh links to /usr/bin/dash.
Is my premise correct?

If so in what way dash differs from bash?
Is any web link available to documentation on features and use of dash?
--
vsrk sarma

Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

11/09/2009 09:16 AM, vsrk sarma:
> If so in what way dash differs from bash?

http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+vs+dash

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Raseel Bhagat

First of all, pardon me for raising fundamental query.
I like now about default shell available in terminal mode.
It seems it is dash and NOT bash, as /usr/bin/sh links to /usr/bin/dash.
Is my premise correct?

If so in what way dash differs from bash?
Is any web link available to documentation on features and use of dash?

I have found this wierd too.
Although I did not find any discernible difference during normal user operations, (looks like dash reads the .bashrc file too ;-)),

I got into some issues when compiling a source code.
Unlinking /bin/sh and linking it to /bin/bash solved the problem for me.

Thanks,
Raseel