Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 AM
loody

Default some quesitons about install ubuntu

Dear all:
I upgrade my unbuntu from 8.04 to 9.04 and I fount my network and
sound card don't work right now.

I intend to install 9.04 instead of upgrading from 8.04 directly, but
it makes me crazy when I think about reinstall all the packages on
8.04.
Is there any batches or config which can help me to install all the
packages I install at 8.04 to the new distribution without typing them
one by one?
appreciate your help,
miloody

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Nils Kassube

loody wrote:
> I intend to install 9.04 instead of upgrading from 8.04 directly, but

Just in case you didn't notice: the latest Ubuntu version is 9.10, not
9.04.

> it makes me crazy when I think about reinstall all the packages on
> 8.04.
> Is there any batches or config which can help me to install all the
> packages I install at 8.04 to the new distribution without typing
> them one by one?

Someone explained it on the German list some time ago: While you are
running 8.04 enter the command

sudo dpkg --get-selections > packages.list

in a terminal. It saves a list of installed packages in the file
packages.list in your home directory. Move that file to a location which
isn't overwritten by the new installation (e.g. USB stick). After
installing the new system, copy the file back to your home directory and
use the commands

sudo dpkg --set-selections < packages.list
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

in a terminal. And please note: I didn't try this myself because I
prefer upgrades instead of new installs.

Nils

Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 11:42 +0800, loody wrote:
> Dear all:
> I upgrade my unbuntu from 8.04 to 9.04 and I fount my network and
> sound card don't work right now.
>
> I intend to install 9.04 instead of upgrading from 8.04 directly, but
> it makes me crazy when I think about reinstall all the packages on
> 8.04.
> Is there any batches or config which can help me to install all the
> packages I install at 8.04 to the new distribution without typing them
> one by one?
> appreciate your help,
> miloody

9.04 was very problematic version. Move either to 9.10 or 8.10.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net