Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
dean

Default Taking a desktop screenshot remotely

Hello Ubuntu Users,

I want to take a screenshot of a remote machine without the use of VNC.
I have SSH setup so I can access the machine. But how do I go about
taking a desktop screenshot on a remote machine in ssh?

Best Regards,
Dean

Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 PM
"H.S."

dean wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Users,
>
> I want to take a screenshot of a remote machine without the use of VNC.
> I have SSH setup so I can access the machine. But how do I go about
> taking a desktop screenshot on a remote machine in ssh?
>
> Best Regards,
> Dean

Does this help:
http://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots

ever having been read.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
dean

H.S. wrote:

dean wrote:

Hello Ubuntu Users,

I want to take a screenshot of a remote machine without the use of VNC.
I have SSH setup so I can access the machine. But how do I go about
taking a desktop screenshot on a remote machine in ssh?

Best Regards,
Dean

Does this help:
http://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots

I tried the command line approach as you stated and got the
following

┌( insanity @ insanity-desktop )─( 11:30am -:- 11/09 )

└( /home/insanity )·> sleep 5; xwd -root | convert - capture.png

xwd:* unable to open display '

convert: missing an image filename `capture.png' @
convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2775.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
dean

H.S. wrote:

dean wrote:

Hello Ubuntu Users,

I want to take a screenshot of a remote machine without the use of VNC.
I have SSH setup so I can access the machine. But how do I go about
taking a desktop screenshot on a remote machine in ssh?

Best Regards,
Dean

Does this help:
http://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots

Also on a quicknote when trying to use scrot I get

scrot

giblib error: Can't open X display. It *is* running, yeah?

It seems it wants me to do an X11 forward, but doing this will take a
screenshot of the computer I am currently using locally.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Steven Susbauer