Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Dave

Default Ekiga, 9.04 (Jaunty), HDA Intel (ALSA mixer)

I am trying to get Ekiga working on an Intel motherboard (Ubuntu
9.04, Jaunty). I can not get the microphone input to work
consistently. It looks like Ekiga is looking for input on HDA Intel
(ALSA mixer) capture which defaults to having the mic muted. I can
un-mute the mic and get it to work but I cant get the audio settings
to stay put so it works consistently. When I reboot it reverts to not
working (mic is muted). Is there any way I can get the audio settings
to stay put (mic un-muted) after rebooting? Any help will be appreciated.

Dave M

Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Dave

If I run alsamixer from the command line, tab to capture and switch
the first "Input So" from "Mic" to "Front Mic" and then back to
"Mic", Ekiga starts working. This seems pretty repeatable.

Is there a way I can try this from a script and see if that will work
around the problem? Is there a way to issue commands to alsamixer
from the command line? Maybe I can write a script that will toggle
the Mic input before starting Ekiga. I know this is a crude
work-around but I really need to get Ekiga working on boot-up without
user intervention.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Dave

At 11:13 PM 11/7/2009, you wrote:
>At 10:17 PM 11/7/2009, you wrote:
> >I am trying to get Ekiga working on an Intel motherboard (Ubuntu
> >9.04, Jaunty). I can not get the microphone input to work
> >consistently. It looks like Ekiga is looking for input on HDA Intel
> >(ALSA mixer) capture which defaults to having the mic muted. I can
> >un-mute the mic and get it to work but I cant get the audio settings
> >to stay put so it works consistently. When I reboot it reverts to not
> >working (mic is muted). Is there any way I can get the audio settings
> >to stay put (mic un-muted) after rebooting? Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> >Dave M
> >
>If I run alsamixer from the command line, tab to capture and switch
>the first "Input Source" from "Mic" to "Front Mic" and then back to
>"Mic", Ekiga starts working. This seems pretty repeatable.
>
>Is there a way I can try this from a script and see if that will work
>around the problem? Is there a way to issue commands to alsamixer
>from the command line? Maybe I can write a script that will toggle
>the Mic input before starting Ekiga. I know this is a crude
>work-around but I really need to get Ekiga working on boot-up without
>user intervention.

Added the following to /etc/rc.local

#
sleep 10
amixer sset "Input Source" "Front Mic"
#
sleep 10
amixer sset PCM 100%,100%
amixer sset Master 70%,70%
amixer sset Mic 0%,0% unmute playback
amixer sset CD 0%,0% unmute playback
amixer sset Line 0%,0% unmute playback
amixer sset "PC Speaker" 20%,20% unmute playback
#
amixer sset "Input Source" "Mic"
amixer sset "Mic Boost" 100%,100% unmute capture
amixer sset Mic,1 70%,70% unmute capture
amixer sset Capture 70%,70% unmute capture
#

That seems to have fixed the microphone problem. But now I can not
get Ekiga to ring through the speakers (through pulseaudio). When
there is an incoming call it rings in the headset. So, if you are not
wearing the headset, you have no idea that there is a call coming in.
And the pop-up dialog pops up behind (not in front of) whatever is on
the desktop. Not very useful. So, as always, suggestions are welcome.

Dave M

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Nils Kassube

Dave wrote:
> If I run alsamixer from the command line, tab to capture and switch
> the first "Input So" from "Mic" to "Front Mic" and then back to
> "Mic", Ekiga starts working. This seems pretty repeatable.
>
> Is there a way I can try this from a script and see if that will work
> around the problem? Is there a way to issue commands to alsamixer
> from the command line? Maybe I can write a script that will toggle
> the Mic input before starting Ekiga. I know this is a crude
> work-around but I really need to get Ekiga working on boot-up without
> user intervention.

Have a look at amixer.

Nils

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2009 07:17 PM, Dave wrote:
> I am trying to get Ekiga working on an Intel motherboard (Ubuntu
> 9.04, Jaunty). I can not get the microphone input to work
> consistently. It looks like Ekiga is looking for input on HDA Intel
> (ALSA mixer) capture which defaults to having the mic muted. I can
> un-mute the mic and get it to work but I cant get the audio settings
> to stay put so it works consistently. When I reboot it reverts to not
> working (mic is muted). Is there any way I can get the audio settings
> to stay put (mic un-muted) after rebooting? Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Dave M

I was looking at this this morning for muted sound on boot in general.
Have a look through this bug & see if perhaps it may have some useful
information in it for your issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/352732
[[jaunty] Sound muted after boot]