Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 AM
William

Default add superuser to a user

I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to install
software ?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Rashkae

William wrote:
> I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
> super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to install
> software ?

You cannot. There is only 1 super user account, and that is root. By
default, root is disabled, you can enable the root account by using sudo
passwd root, but since you asked this question, you really aren't ready
for that kind of destructive power. But hey, it's your system, if you
break it, you get to keep both halves.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 AM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
> super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to
> install software ?

That's not a good idea. Running a GUI (and many other softwares) as root
may open security breaches which will make it easier for an attacker to
compromise your system. Also, it makes easier for yourself to
inadvertently / unknowingly run software that can damage your system.
So, using sudo is useful to protect your system from yourself, as well
as from others.
If you still want to do this anyway, you need to change your user ID to
0, which is root UID. Edit /etc/passwd (using sudo) and change the
number right after the second ":" at the line of your user account to 0
(probably it is currently 1000, if this is the user you created while
installing the system).
Again, it's not advisable to do this.

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 AM
William

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 00:31 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> > I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
> > super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to
> > install software ?
> >

> That's not a good idea. Running a GUI (and many other softwares) as root
> may open security breaches which will make it easier for an attacker to
> compromise your system. Also, it makes easier for yourself to
> inadvertently / unknowingly run software that can damage your system.
> So, using sudo is useful to protect your system from yourself, as well
> as from others.
> If you still want to do this anyway, you need to change your user ID to
> 0, which is root UID. Edit /etc/passwd (using sudo) and change the
> number right after the second ":" at the line of your user account to 0
> (probably it is currently 1000, if this is the user you created while
> installing the system).
> Again, it's not advisable to do this.
>
> []'s
> Marcelo

I do not this I will do it then ?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Fred Roller

William wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 00:31 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>
>> Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
>>
>>> I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
>>> super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to
>>> install software ?
>>>

>> That's not a good idea. Running a GUI (and many other softwares) as root
>> may open security breaches which will make it easier for an attacker to
>> compromise your system. Also, it makes easier for yourself to
>> inadvertently / unknowingly run software that can damage your system.
>> So, using sudo is useful to protect your system from yourself, as well
>> as from others.
>> If you still want to do this anyway, you need to change your user ID to
>> 0, which is root UID. Edit /etc/passwd (using sudo) and change the
>> number right after the second ":" at the line of your user account to 0
>> (probably it is currently 1000, if this is the user you created while
>> installing the system).
>> Again, it's not advisable to do this.
>>
>> []'s
>> Marcelo
>>

> I do not this I will do it then ?

I agree with the rest in that it is not a good idea but if you need root
and don't want to leave the vulnerabilities open after your session then
simply do:

sudo su -

which will activate root via your user and go away when you log out of
the terminal. This does not create root nor does it make a permanent
change to your user but comes in handy if you are going to do extensive
root work.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 00:31 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> > > I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to
> > > add super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and
> > > to install software ?
> >
> > That's not a good idea. Running a GUI (and many other softwares) as
> > root may open security breaches which will make it easier for an
> > attacker to compromise your system. Also, it makes easier for
> > yourself to inadvertently / unknowingly run software that can
> > damage your system. So, using sudo is useful to protect your system
> > from yourself, as well as from others.
> > If you still want to do this anyway, you need to change your user
> > ID to 0, which is root UID. Edit /etc/passwd (using sudo) and
> > change the number right after the second ":" at the line of your
> > user account to 0 (probably it is currently 1000, if this is the
> > user you created while installing the system).
> > Again, it's not advisable to do this.
> >
> > []'s
> > Marcelo
>
> I do not this I will do it then ?

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Please rephrase.

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
William

A. On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 09:47 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> > >
> > > That's not a good idea. Running a GUI (and many other softwares) as
> > > root may open security breaches which will make it easier for an
> > > attacker to compromise your system. Also, it makes easier for
> > > yourself to inadvertently / unknowingly run software that can
> > > damage your system. So, using sudo is useful to protect your system
> > > from yourself, as well as from others.
> > > If you still want to do this anyway, you need to change your user
> > > ID to 0, which is root UID. Edit /etc/passwd (using sudo) and
> > > change the number right after the second ":" at the line of your
> > > user account to 0 (probably it is currently 1000, if this is the
> > > user you created while installing the system).
> > > Again, it's not advisable to do this.
> > >
> > > []'s
> > > Marcelo
> >
> > I do not this I will do it then ?
> >

> Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Please rephrase.
>
> []'s
> Marcelo
What I was saying if it would be that bad to set me as super user I do not think I will then

Old 11-08-2009, 01:55 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em Domingo 08 Novembro 2009, William escreveu:
> A. On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 09:47 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
wrote:

> > > I do not this I will do it then ?
> >
> > Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Please rephrase.
> >
> > []'s
> > Marcelo
>
> What I was saying if it would be that bad to set me as super user I
> do not think I will then

I think that's a wise decision

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Artur Frydel

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009, William wrote:

> I'm the only one that use my computer I would like to know how to add
> super user access to my user so I do not have to run sudo and to install
> software ?

vim /etc/passwd
Set 0:0 to who you want make God in your box. And voila - you have less
secure system

--
Artur 'bzyk' Frydel
"Always look on the bright side of life."