Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Default Grub prompt..what do I do?

I decided to reinstall Ubuntu but it is stuck on GRUB
Saying "GNU Grub version 1.97beta 4
Minimal bash like line editing is supported.* For the first word Tab lists possible command completion. Anywhere else tab lists possible device / file completions"

prompt states sh:grub

typing in startx or anything with sudo is not recognized.

I'm using wubi for this but I'm not sure where this is going wrong.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Dotan Cohen

Try "b" or "boot".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Tom H

> I decided to reinstall Ubuntu but it is stuck on GRUB
> Saying "GNU Grub version 1.97beta 4
> Minimal bash like line editing is supported.* For the first word Tab lists
> possible command completion. Anywhere else tab lists possible device / file
> completions"
>
> prompt states sh:grub
>
> typing in startx or anything with sudo is not recognized.
>
> I'm using wubi for this but I'm not sure where this is going wrong.

I have never used Wubi but on a "normal" install ending up at the
sh:grub> prompt usually means that your grub.cfg is incorrect.

On a "normal" install, you would have to:

grub> root (hd0,X)
# where X is the sdaX where /boot is #
# if you are unsure of X, you can #
# "ls", "ls hd(0,Y)", "ls hd(0,Y)/boot", "ls hd(0,Y)/boot/grub" #
# to find the correct X #
sh:grub> insmod /boot/grub/ext2.mod
sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x.x root=/dev/sdaX ro
# where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
# where vmlinuz-2.6.x.x is the correct kernel #
sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.x.x
# where initrd.img-2.6.x.x is the correct initrd #
sh:grub> boot