Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Doug Robinson

Default KDE logout

Hello
I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails. Sometimes if after clicking
on the say logout icon you press the "power button" of the computer the
ask me again
window comes up and you can verify what you want.
Sometimes it even works. Mostly the screen goes blank and hangs.

Hopefully - thanks for your time.

dkr

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Dotan Cohen

> * *I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
> a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails. Sometimes if after clicking
> on the say logout icon you press the "power button" of the computer the
> ask me again
> window comes up and you can verify what you want.
> Sometimes it even works. Mostly the screen goes blank and hangs.

I am having a hard time understanding. Please confirm that you are
using Ubuntu 9.10 with KDE, and specify which KDE version. Also, which
KDE menu do you use (Kicker, classic, or Lancelot). Then please list
in numbered steps what you are doing to logout, and exactly at which
point what happens differes from what you expected. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Doug Robinson

Dotan Cohen wrote:

* *I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails. Sometimes if after clicking
on the say logout icon you press the "power button" of the computer the
ask me again
window comes up and you can verify what you want.
Sometimes it even works. Mostly the screen goes blank and hangs.

I am having a hard time understanding. Please confirm that you are
using Ubuntu 9.10 with KDE, and specify which KDE version. Also, which
KDE menu do you use (Kicker, classic, or Lancelot). Then please list
in numbered steps what you are doing to logout, and exactly at which
point what happens differes from what you expected. Thanks.

no problem

***

KDE 4.3.2* synaptic installed after
installing Ubuntu 9.10

I have no idea what you mean by

Kicker, classic, or Lancelot

or how I would find out. However on a click by click basis:

K -> leave -> shutdown

*** - menu disappears and nothing happens (differ)

press Power button computer box (why did try this? - unknown)

*** - conformation dialog (sometimes) appears (differ)

***** otherwise nothing happens (differ)

***

click on shutdown if it appeared

*** - dialog disappears and KDE dies but system does not shutdown

switch off power on back of computer

*** - computer shuts off - expected!

There are other problems;

*** A mount point disappeared - easily to fix but what happened?

*** my account was removed from the sudoers file

*** ** (dkr is not in the sudoers file.* This incident will be
reported.)

****** This is a real problem as I have never looked at this feature

*** ** and do not know where is hides or what it looks like. But I need

*** ** it right now!

Somewhen near the time this happened I did:

*** sudo usermod -G audio dkr

but I do not know if this was the cause. "dkr" is now in the audio
group.

I cannot find the "device name" of a usb flashmemory this is what is
added to dmesg

when I insert the device:

> [ 1412.940018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

> [ 1414.700516] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

1

> [ 1416.452018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

> [ 1418.260016] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

> [ 1419.988018] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

> [ 1421.716014] usb 2-2: reset low speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 10

my Kwallet exports are on there - I could use all of those passwords
but...

my audio problems are half fixed - i.e. I (used to until the sudoers
thing) sudo alsa force-reload

after which, for a time,it works. then I would do it again and for a
time ...

booting - GRUB is VERY slow and the installed version is 1.97~beta4
which seems odd to me.

further a dual boot version of Mandriva 2010-64 has gone missing from
the list. This is just a toy &

I do not care.

are all of these problems related? I do not know, but this thing is not
really usable

as it sits. Perhaps I will have to try over with 8.10 - I hope not!

Thank you for your time and effort!

dkr

Old 11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
bqz69

On Sunday 08 November 2009 12:06:23 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
> > a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails.

Try in a konsole:

"sudo shutdown -h now" for stop

"sudo shutdown -r now" for reboot

Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Doug Robinson

bqz69 wrote:

I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails.

Try in a konsole:

"sudo shutdown -h now" for stop

"sudo shutdown -r now" for reboot

I am not sure where you are on this thread but

Another problem I am having is my userid has been removed from the

sudoers file - where ever that is

dkr is not in the sudoers file.* This incident will be reported.

I did try "shutdown" at one point with no result.

Thank you for your time.

dkr

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Doug Robinson

Doug Robinson wrote:

I am not sure where you are on this thread but

Another problem I am having is my userid has been removed from the

sudoers file - where ever that is

dkr is not in the sudoers file.* This incident will be reported.

I did try "shutdown" at one point with no result.

Thank you for your time.

dkr

Well I mentioned in a previous posting that a mount point

had disappeared. Well /etc/sudoers has also disappeared.

This doc on this seems fairly daunting; can some one please send me an

example file ?

thanks

dkr

Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
NoOp

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Dotan Cohen

2009/11/8 Doug Robinson <dkrr@telus.net>:
> bqz69 wrote:
>
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 12:06:23 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
>

> I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
> a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails.
>

> Try in a konsole:
>
> "sudo shutdown -h now" for stop
>
> "sudo shutdown -r now" for reboot
>

> I am not sure where you are on this thread but
>
> Another problem I am having is my userid has been removed from the
> sudoers file - where ever that is
>
> dkr is not in the sudoers file.* This incident will be reported.
>
> I did try "shutdown" at one point with no result.

I would suspect that the fact that your user is not in the sudoers
file may be the root of your problem. Look at the link that Noop
posted, and let us know if adding your user solves the problem.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Doug Robinson

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails.

Try in a konsole:

"sudo shutdown -h now" for stop

"sudo shutdown -r now" for reboot

I am not sure where you are on this thread but

Another problem I am having is my userid has been removed from the
sudoers file - where ever that is

dkr is not in the sudoers file.* This incident will be reported.

I did try "shutdown" at one point with no result.

I would suspect that the fact that your user is not in the sudoers
file may be the root of your problem. Look at the link that Noop
posted, and let us know if adding your user solves the problem.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately this installation has turned into a complete

disaster! At various times I have endured:

1) KDE fails to install - E.G. the window for a (kde|gnome) login is
completely blank.

2) Spontaneous deletion of mount points - no biggie but terrifying!

3) Shutdown failure where the system does not quit.

4) Shutdown failure where the system quits working but the system does
not turn off.

5) Installs where the keyboard does not respond but the mouse does.

6) Sound only works sometimes and even then it shuts down every few
minutes.

7) Disappearance of the /etc/sudoer file. - A real problem.

8) Failure of logout - see 3.

In addition - at some point I rebooted the system and my backup file
system was gone.

i.e. the disk manager could identify the FS as jfs but could not mount
or fsck. So much

for 6 years of bloat.

I have reinstalled 9.10 five (5) times. Still the system, does not
perform properly

I hacked and tweeked and I credit

me with destroying the FS. If I had fewer problems I would not have
needed to reinstall

so many times. Thus fewer opportunities to blunder.

My vote goes for the black eye!

The good side is the latest install has a nice clean & flexible
disk outlay.

I am back at square one trying to make sound with audicity and amarok
work.

Please wish me luck, but I am afraid I am going to end up looking for a
distribution

that will work for me - any ideas?

Thanks again for everybodies help!

dkr

Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Unfortunately this installation has turned into a complete
> disaster! At various times I have endured:
> 1) KDE fails to install - E.G. the window for a (kde|gnome) login is
> completely blank.
> 2) Spontaneous deletion of mount points - no biggie but terrifying!
> 3) Shutdown failure where the system does not quit.
> 4) Shutdown failure where the system quits working but the system does not
> turn off.
> 5) Installs where the keyboard does not respond but the mouse does.
> 6) Sound only works sometimes and even then it shuts down every few minutes.
> 7) Disappearance of the /etc/sudoer file. - A real problem.
> 8) Failure of logout - see 3.
>
> In addition - at some point I rebooted the system and my backup file system
> was gone.
> i.e. the disk manager could identify the FS as jfs but could not mount or
> fsck. So much
> for 6 years of bloat.
>
> I have reinstalled 9.10 five (5) times. Still the system, does not perform
> properly
> I hacked and tweeked and I credit
> me with destroying the FS. If I had fewer problems I would not have needed
> to reinstall
> so many times. Thus fewer opportunities to blunder.
>
> My vote goes for the black eye!
>
> The good side is the latest install has a nice clean & flexible disk outlay.
>
> I am back at square one trying to make sound with audicity and amarok work.
>
> Please wish me luck, but I am afraid I am going to end up looking for a
> distribution
> that will work for me - any ideas?
>
> Thanks again for everybodies help!
>
> dkr

Sounds like a nightmare to me. If you are looking for a KDE distro
then Mandriva, Suse, and Fedora all have good offerings. But you might
want to go with Debian, on which Ubuntu is built and will be the most
familiar.

Note that if you switch distros, you may need to adjust the file
permissions of you /home files due to UID numbering differences
between distros. For instance, *buntu starts with UID 1000, whereas
RedHat distros start with 500. It is not a big deal, but a gotcha to
be aware of.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com