Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Steve

Default Ubuntu, SATA, installation!?

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:34:50 -0000, 0 <the_herd_of_the_horses@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Please see the manual of the computer in question for an answer to the
> question:
>
> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8oLg_kLKV2eNGE1Njk5NjUtMjNlOC00NzQ0L WEwM2YtOTlkNThiOTBkNzZj&hl=en
>
> , as I am not sure of what is the exact "ID" of the SATA controller.

run 'lspci' without the quotes in a terminal and post the results

--
Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 11:19 PM
0

I've not installed Ubuntu yet, I want to know whether it supports the SATA controller of the PC mentioned. I hope the manual tells enough information about the SATA controller for you to answer.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8oLg_kLKV2eNGE1Njk5NjUtMjNlOC00NzQ0L WEwM2YtOTlkNThiOTBkNzZj&hl=en

Actually, I'm not sure whether I'm going to install Ubuntu, and am afraid that I'll not cope with the installation, as this is my first installation of an OS.

I would be extremely glad if I could get a relevant and helpful reply.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Steve

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:19:33 -0000, 0 <the_herd_of_the_horses@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I've not installed Ubuntu yet, I want to know whether it supports the
> SATA controller of the PC mentioned. I hope the manual tells enough
> information about the SATA controller for you to answer.
>
> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8oLg_kLKV2eNGE1Njk5NjUtMjNlOC00NzQ0L WEwM2YtOTlkNThiOTBkNzZj&hl=en
>
> Actually, I'm not sure whether I'm going to install Ubuntu, and am
> afraid that I'll not cope with the installation, as this is my first
> installation of an OS.
>
> I would be extremely glad if I could get a relevant and helpful reply.

The manual doesn’t give much hardware info.
The best way to find out if it will run on your machine is to download and
burn the live CD. Instructions and download here
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/download
You can then boot off it and see if it will run with out altering your
current set up.

--
Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
0

Doesn't this OS have a list of supported SATAs? for those who have installed it? How are SATAs supported if there is no list of which ones are supported?

I could also get the following information:

Drivers list for this machine:
http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/support/drv_lb_wxp_s7210.html

Divice manager name of SATA device:
Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Conttoller

Please

---------

Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Rashkae

0 wrote:
> I've not installed Ubuntu yet, I want to know whether it supports the SATA controller of the PC mentioned. I hope the manual tells enough information about the SATA controller for you to answer.
>
> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8oLg_kLKV2eNGE1Njk5NjUtMjNlOC00NzQ0L WEwM2YtOTlkNThiOTBkNzZj&hl=en
>
> Actually, I'm not sure whether I'm going to install Ubuntu, and am afraid that I'll not cope with the installation, as this is my first installation of an OS.
>
> I would be extremely glad if I could get a relevant and helpful reply.

If you do decide to install ubuntu, just do it. After all, if Ubuntu
doesn't support your SATA chip by some unheard of chance, you won't get
so far as to install anything, so no loss.

I often suggest it's a good idea to search for a LUG (Linux User Group)
in your local area and crash a meeting. If you bribe someone with pizza
and beer, you can usually find someone to handhold you for your first
install.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Steve

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:37:47 -0000, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> 0 wrote:
>> I've not installed Ubuntu yet, I want to know whether it supports the
>> SATA controller of the PC mentioned. I hope the manual tells enough
>> information about the SATA controller for you to answer.
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8oLg_kLKV2eNGE1Njk5NjUtMjNlOC00NzQ0L WEwM2YtOTlkNThiOTBkNzZj&hl=en
>>
>> Actually, I'm not sure whether I'm going to install Ubuntu, and am
>> afraid that I'll not cope with the installation, as this is my first
>> installation of an OS.
>>
>> I would be extremely glad if I could get a relevant and helpful reply.
>>

> If you do decide to install ubuntu, just do it. After all, if Ubuntu
> doesn't support your SATA chip by some unheard of chance, you won't get
> so far as to install anything, so no loss.
>
> I often suggest it's a good idea to search for a LUG (Linux User Group)
> in your local area and crash a meeting. If you bribe someone with pizza
> and beer, you can usually find someone to handhold you for your first
> install.

Good advice.

There’s at least one person got 9.10 running even if he doesn’t know the
screen resolution
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302824 so the SATA
controller is supported.

--