Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Doug Robinson

Default Still waiting for an audio fix

Tab Gilbert wrote:
> snip
>
> PulseAudio Device Chooser and Volume Control
>

> Are the speakers USB based? If so you have to switch them on via the
> PulseAudio panel.
>
> tab

I have the same problem. I installed 9.10 and for a little while sound
almost worked.
Almost in that applications would suddenly go mute & uncooperative until
restarted.

This worked for a few hours until I started to get the "default to
pulse" message on
login. Now nothing.

padevchooser - hangs; no output

pavucontrol - run with this "PCM2900 Audio Codec Analog Stereo"

The VU meter wiggles nicely but no longer any sound!

Thank you for your time

Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:25:31 +0000, Mark C. Miller wrote:

> Has anyone found a fix yet for the lack of audio problem several folks
> have mentioned?
>
> One fix talked about removing a modem reference from hardware, but I
> don't have a modem reference there.
>
> When I tested 9.10 before installing, it never struck me that the system
> I tested on wasn't connected to my speakers ... my fault for being
> stupid.
>
> In the meantime, I've installed 9.10, thinking it was OK, on an two IBM
> Thinkcenters, an HP, a custom-built box, and a Dell. There is no audio
> on any of them.
>
> I'm pretty much a newbi; I don't have any idea of where to start digging
> around the system for possible fixes. I was kind of hoping that one of
> the updates might fix the problem.
>
> Other than this, and I think an xorg.conf problem on the dell (I think
> the driver for the monitor has some sort of problem -- I can't get any
> resolution greater than 800X600), the rest of the install has been
> trouble free. If I hadn't read about the problems others had I would
> never have suspected. I started with 8.04 and upgraded every time a new
> version came out, and this was by far the easiest install.
>
> If anyone has a clue on the audio, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311725 might help.

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Doug Robinson

Frans Ketelaars wrote:

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:25:31 +0000, Mark C. Miller wrote:

snip

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311725 might help.

Good luck!

-Frans

Thanks "sudo alsa force-reload"

*

does the trick. Running that after every login is a pita but at least
it works!

dkr

Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2009 11:25 AM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
> Has anyone found a fix yet for the lack of audio problem several folks
> have mentioned?
>
> One fix talked about removing a modem reference from hardware, but I
> don't have a modem reference there.
>
> When I tested 9.10 before installing, it never struck me that the system
> I tested on wasn't connected to my speakers ... my fault for being stupid.
>
> In the meantime, I've installed 9.10, thinking it was OK, on an two IBM
> Thinkcenters, an HP, a custom-built box, and a Dell. There is no audio
> on any of them.
>
> I'm pretty much a newbi; I don't have any idea of where to start digging
> around the system for possible fixes. I was kind of hoping that one of
> the updates might fix the problem.
>
> Other than this, and I think an xorg.conf problem on the dell (I think
> the driver for the monitor has some sort of problem -- I can't get any
> resolution greater than 800X600), the rest of the install has been
> trouble free. If I hadn't read about the problems others had I would
> never have suspected. I started with 8.04 and upgraded every time a new
> version came out, and this was by far the easiest install.
>
> If anyone has a clue on the audio, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Still waiting for you to answer questions others have asked :-)

Try: System|Preferences|Sound|Output|Connector| and while playing a
sound, try the different devices listed in the dropdown box one at a time.

Also have a look at:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
and