Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 PM
wcj9996

Default Is 9.10 a black eye for Ubuntu?

I have installed 9.10 on both a 32 bit laptop and an AMD 64 bit desktop
computer. The desktop has 2 drives, 1 ATA with Win-XP and a Serial drive with
8.04 and now 9.10.

The only problem was that grub2 was completely confused by the two drives and so
I removed grub2 and installed grub(1). I added the 9.10 entry to the 8.04
menu.lst on the boot drive and now all works as expected.

All went well on the laptop which dual boots XP & 9.10 which is a more typical
installation.

At this point I am pleased with 9.10, however I am still using 8.04 LTS as my
main system.

Black eye? I don't think so. Anyone ever try to update from Win-98 to Vista?

--
----- walt -----

Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Steve Lamb

wcj9996 wrote:
> Black eye? I don't think so. Anyone ever try to update from Win-98 to
> Vista?

Hardly a fair comparison. That would be, what, 9 years between the two
instead of 6 months? A better comparison would be to upgrade from Debian 2.2
(potato)* to Ubuntu 9.10.

* Debian 2.2 Potato (15 August 2000): Named for "Mr Potato Head" in the movie.
This release added support for the PowerPC and ARM architectures. With Wichert
still serving as Project Leader, this release consisted of more than 3900
binary packages derived from over 2600 source packages maintained by more than
450 Debian developers.
-- http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-releases.en.html

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do

Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Willis Taylor

First, I am running Karmic n both my primary computer and on the reserve
on the other end of my desk. Yes, there is a minor glitch with Gimp
freezing the machine but it has just managed to make me a better
computer user because I save more often.

Am I mad at the Ubuntu development team? No, I am not. Is there a
black eye involved? It would appear that there are many as a result f
Karmic but none of them belong to the Ubuntu Team. When I was a Beta
Tester for MS I worked with some lousy software. Ubuntu has not dump
junk on the market that could not get past the Beta Testers ad expected
people to pay for the privilege of using junk software.

Now, a key point. Anyone that can develop a perfect Operating System in
six months is not a member of this planet. It follows that anyone that
wants or desires to run cutting edge technology is going to run into
faults in the software. As a person that has dedicated himself to
introducing the world to legally free software I push Ubuntu everywhere
I go and then I give these folks free tech support for as long as they
need it. For this reason, the only system I install for these "users"
is Hardy, the Long Term Support version.

Computer users should learn to not cry and to not give themselves a
reason to cry and stick with the version developed for business and the
average user. A short term system is nothing more than a beta version
that is to become the LTS version in 11/04. For those of us that enjoy
the challenge, Ubuntu gives us the latest version every six months and
we are never asked to spend a dime for it. So why all the tears ad
discontent?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:14:55 -0600, Willis Taylor wrote:

> First, I am running Karmic n both my primary computer and on the reserve
> on the other end of my desk. Yes, there is a minor glitch with Gimp
> freezing the machine but it has just managed to make me a better
> computer user because I save more often.
>
> Am I mad at the Ubuntu development team? No, I am not. Is there a
> black eye involved? It would appear that there are many as a result f
> Karmic but none of them belong to the Ubuntu Team. When I was a Beta
> Tester for MS I worked with some lousy software. Ubuntu has not dump
> junk on the market that could not get past the Beta Testers ad expected
> people to pay for the privilege of using junk software.
>
> Now, a key point. Anyone that can develop a perfect Operating System in
> six months is not a member of this planet.

Anyone thinking that Karmic was developed in six months while claiming to
have a background in software development is insane.

> Computer users should learn to not cry and to not give themselves a
> reason to cry and stick with the version developed for business and the
> average user. A short term system is nothing more than a beta version

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Karmic just moved _out_ of beta status. Must
be my mistake.

> that is to become the LTS version in 11/04. For those of us that enjoy
> the challenge, Ubuntu gives us the latest version every six months and
> we are never asked to spend a dime for it. So why all the tears ad
> discontent?

Because, as you said yourself, Karmic is nothing more than a beta version.
It's not the final release version that Canonical claims it to be.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:14:55 -0600, Willis Taylor wrote:
>
>> First, I am running Karmic n both my primary computer and on the reserve
>> on the other end of my desk. Yes, there is a minor glitch with Gimp
>> freezing the machine but it has just managed to make me a better
>> computer user because I save more often.
>>
>> Am I mad at the Ubuntu development team? No, I am not. Is there a
>> black eye involved? It would appear that there are many as a result f
>> Karmic but none of them belong to the Ubuntu Team. When I was a Beta
>> Tester for MS I worked with some lousy software. Ubuntu has not dump
>> junk on the market that could not get past the Beta Testers ad expected
>> people to pay for the privilege of using junk software.
>>
>> Now, a key point. Anyone that can develop a perfect Operating System in
>> six months is not a member of this planet.
>
> Anyone thinking that Karmic was developed in six months while claiming to
> have a background in software development is insane.
>
>> Computer users should learn to not cry and to not give themselves a
>> reason to cry and stick with the version developed for business and the
>> average user. A short term system is nothing more than a beta version
>
> Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Karmic just moved _out_ of beta status. Must
> be my mistake.
>
>> that is to become the LTS version in 11/04. For those of us that enjoy
>> the challenge, Ubuntu gives us the latest version every six months and
>> we are never asked to spend a dime for it. So why all the tears ad
>> discontent?
>
> Because, as you said yourself, Karmic is nothing more than a beta version.
> It's not the final release version that Canonical claims it to be.

Karmic = Jaunty + 6 months of design change. I have both on
this computer and I prefer Jaunty. You might prefer Karmic if
you took time to use it instead of complaining.

In any case it is always free to me. Not to Canonical who
spends money to get things right. Unless your mentally unfit
you should realize there is nothing free in this world.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:50:28 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>> Now, a key point. Anyone that can develop a perfect Operating System
>>> in six months is not a member of this planet.
>>
>> Anyone thinking that Karmic was developed in six months while claiming
>> to have a background in software development is insane.
>>
>>> Computer users should learn to not cry and to not give themselves a
>>> reason to cry and stick with the version developed for business and
>>> the average user. A short term system is nothing more than a beta
>>> version
>>
>> Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Karmic just moved _out_ of beta status.
>> Must be my mistake.
>>
>>> that is to become the LTS version in 11/04. For those of us that
>>> enjoy the challenge, Ubuntu gives us the latest version every six
>>> months and we are never asked to spend a dime for it. So why all the
>>> tears ad discontent?
>>
>> Because, as you said yourself, Karmic is nothing more than a beta
>> version. It's not the final release version that Canonical claims it to
>> be.
>>

> Karmic = Jaunty + 6 months of design change. I have both on
> this computer and I prefer Jaunty. You might prefer Karmic if you took
> time to use it instead of complaining.

If you'd taken the time to use your brainbefore posting, you might have
noticed that I _am_ using Karmic.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris

"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:14:55 -0600, Willis Taylor wrote:
> >
> >> First, I am running Karmic n both my primary computer and on the
> >> reserve on the other end of my desk. Yes, there is a minor glitch
> >> with Gimp freezing the machine but it has just managed to make me
> >> a better computer user because I save more often.
> >>
> >> Am I mad at the Ubuntu development team? No, I am not. Is there a
> >> black eye involved? It would appear that there are many as a
> >> result f Karmic but none of them belong to the Ubuntu Team. When
> >> I was a Beta Tester for MS I worked with some lousy software.
> >> Ubuntu has not dump junk on the market that could not get past the
> >> Beta Testers ad expected people to pay for the privilege of using
> >> junk software.
> >>
> >> Now, a key point. Anyone that can develop a perfect Operating
> >> System in six months is not a member of this planet.
> >
> > Anyone thinking that Karmic was developed in six months while
> > claiming to have a background in software development is insane.
> >
> >> Computer users should learn to not cry and to not give themselves a
> >> reason to cry and stick with the version developed for business
> >> and the average user. A short term system is nothing more than a
> >> beta version
> >
> > Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Karmic just moved _out_ of beta
> > status. Must be my mistake.
> >
> >> that is to become the LTS version in 11/04. For those of us that
> >> enjoy the challenge, Ubuntu gives us the latest version every six
> >> months and we are never asked to spend a dime for it. So why all
> >> the tears ad discontent?
> >
> > Because, as you said yourself, Karmic is nothing more than a beta
> > version. It's not the final release version that Canonical claims
> > it to be.
> >

> Karmic = Jaunty + 6 months of design change. I have both on
> this computer and I prefer Jaunty. You might prefer Karmic if
> you took time to use it instead of complaining.
>
> In any case it is always free to me. Not to Canonical who
> spends money to get things right. Unless your mentally unfit
> you should realize there is nothing free in this world.
>
> 73 Karl

I was gonna reply to this but I see that Karl got to it before I.

I think I was allot happier just a few minutes ago in my Matrix trilogy
induced Sunday afternoon (thank you very much AMC).

Sometimes just reading posts in this list just makes me want to gouge my
eyes out, bite my tongue off, lop off my ears and piss into my PC.

I never believed that one in three people are insane... Now, I have
evidence...

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert Spanjaard wrote:

>>> Anyone thinking that Karmic was developed in six months while claiming
>>> to have a background in software development is insane.

>>> Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that Karmic just moved _out_ of beta status.
>>> Must be my mistake.

>>> Because, as you said yourself, Karmic is nothing more than a beta
>>> version. It's not the final release version that Canonical claims it to
>>> be.
>>>

>> Karmic = Jaunty + 6 months of design change. I have both on
>> this computer and I prefer Jaunty. You might prefer Karmic if you took
>> time to use it instead of complaining.
>
> If you'd taken the time to use your brainbefore posting, you might have
> noticed that I _am_ using Karmic.

How do I learn your using Karmic? What do you look for??? Or
is that a trade secret?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:23:55 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>> Karmic = Jaunty + 6 months of design change. I have both on
>>> this computer and I prefer Jaunty. You might prefer Karmic if you took
>>> time to use it instead of complaining.
>>
>> If you'd taken the time to use your brainbefore posting, you might have
>> noticed that I _am_ using Karmic.
>>
> How do I learn your using Karmic? What do you look for??? Or
> is that a trade secret?

You must have seen something that told you I'm _not_ using Karmic, unless
you admit that your statement was pure nonsense.

But the 'secret' is in the headers. I'm using Pan 0.133, while Jaunty
still had 0.132.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Colin Law

2009/11/16 Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com>:
> But the 'secret' is in the headers. I'm using Pan 0.133, while Jaunty
> still had 0.132.

Could you not have manually upgraded Pan on Jaunty?

Colin