Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Network Manager wireless

I went to Google like Marcos looked for other people with the
same problem and, of course found them. Please look at:

This is a recent paper and talks to the keyring problem.
Please don't tell me NM works fine with wired Internet. I
already know that!

Please address the NM keyring problem which occurs only if
using wireless (WiFi). If you never use wireless then do not
comment.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Steve

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:15:41 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I went to Google like Marcos looked for other people with the
> same problem and, of course found them. Please look at:

> This is a recent paper and talks to the keyring problem.
> Please don't tell me NM works fine with wired Internet. I
> already know that!
>
> Please address the NM keyring problem which occurs only if
> using wireless (WiFi). If you never use wireless then do not
> comment.
>
> 73 Karl

Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the initial
manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
connects up with out asking for a password.

--
Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:15:41 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I went to Google like Marcos looked for other people with the
>> same problem and, of course found them. Please look at:

>> This is a recent paper and talks to the keyring problem.
>> Please don't tell me NM works fine with wired Internet. I
>> already know that!
>>
>> Please address the NM keyring problem which occurs only if
>> using wireless (WiFi). If you never use wireless then do not
>> comment.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the initial
> manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
> connects up with out asking for a password.

Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Steven Susbauer

On Nov 7, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> I went to Google like Marcos looked for other people with the
> same problem and, of course found them. Please look at:

> This is a recent paper and talks to the keyring problem.
> Please don't tell me NM works fine with wired Internet. I
> already know that!
>
> Please address the NM keyring problem which occurs only if
> using wireless (WiFi). If you never use wireless then do not
> comment.

That is from 2006, it is not recent.

It you look, this person is talking about a problem with Network
Manager in Fluxbox, and states that it does not act like it did in
Gnome... he farther states that it was working fine in Gnome.

I suggest you try a clean install and make sure you set a password for
the user. At that point it should not ask for your keyring password.
The only time I have ever been asked for my keyring password in recent
history was after logging logging in with a fingerprint reader, and
the password was still the same as my user account. I do not use a
wired connection on my Linux machine.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Fred Roller

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:15:41 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I went to Google like Marcos looked for other people with the
>>> same problem and, of course found them. Please look at:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294672
>>>
>>> This is a recent paper and talks to the keyring problem.
>>> Please don't tell me NM works fine with wired Internet. I
>>> already know that!
>>>
>>> Please address the NM keyring problem which occurs only if
>>> using wireless (WiFi). If you never use wireless then do not
>>> comment.
>>>
>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the initial
>> manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
>> connects up with out asking for a password.
>>

> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>

> 73 Karl

Clean install with 9.10 (2 or 3 times :-P) and rebot daily; no keyring.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Steve

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:39:12 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>>>

>> Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the
>> initial
>> manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
>> connects up with out asking for a password.
>>

> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>

> 73 Karl

It was 9.10 karmic not 9.04 I installed and the machine has been restarted
several times while we got the hibernate on low battery sorted. My friend
has taken it home and connected to his wireless router, restarted it to
vista to check the windows switching wireless chip off thing and all is
OK. now to replace WICD with WM on my 9.04 laptop and see what happens.

--
Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Fred Roller wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>>> Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the initial
>>> manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
>>> connects up with out asking for a password.
>>>

>> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

> Clean install with 9.10 (2 or 3 times :-P) and rebot daily; no keyring.

Then I give up. Back to WCID for me and those of you using NM
on wireless and have never seen a keyring panel, I admire you.
I have had other luck.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:39:12 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:
>>>>

>>> Just completed a clean install on a laptop of 9.04 and, after the
>>> initial
>>> manual selection of the WiFi connection I’ve rebooted and every thing
>>> connects up with out asking for a password.
>>>
>> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

> It was 9.10 karmic not 9.04 I installed and the machine has been restarted
> several times while we got the hibernate on low battery sorted. My friend
> has taken it home and connected to his wireless router, restarted it to
> vista to check the windows switching wireless chip off thing and all is
> OK. now to replace WICD with WM on my 9.04 laptop and see what happens.

I hope you mean NM not WM. Good luck. I'm convinced I am the
only person EVER to see a keyring panel. I plan to go back
100% to WCID or WICD whichever works...hi

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:39:12 -0000, Karl F. Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>>>

>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> It was 9.10 karmic not 9.04 I installed and the machine has been restarted
>> several times while we got the hibernate on low battery sorted. My friend
>> has taken it home and connected to his wireless router, restarted it to
>> vista to check the windows switching wireless chip off thing and all is
>> OK. now to replace WICD with WM on my 9.04 laptop and see what happens.
>>

> I hope you mean NM not WM. Good luck. I'm convinced I am the
> only person EVER to see a keyring panel. I plan to go back
> 100% to WCID or WICD whichever works...hi

Karl, ever consider using kubuntu-desktop ipo gnome? KDE doesn't seem
to use the gnome-keyring
thingy.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Steve

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:53:48 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:39:12 -0000, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Please reboot 3 times and report if you see a keyring.
>>>

>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> It was 9.10 karmic not 9.04 I installed and the machine has been
>> restarted
>> several times while we got the hibernate on low battery sorted. My
>> friend
>> has taken it home and connected to his wireless router, restarted it to
>> vista to check the windows switching wireless chip off thing and all is
>> OK. now to replace WICD with WM on my 9.04 laptop and see what happens.
>>
> I hope you mean NM not WM. Good luck. I'm convinced I am the
> only person EVER to see a keyring panel. I plan to go back
> 100% to WCID or WICD whichever works...hi
>
> Karl

Not sure how I hit W instead of N.
Anyway, replaced WICD with NM on my 9.04 laptop and all is well. Powwered
it down 4 or 5 times, hibernate doesn’t work so not tested that.
So it does look like you’re the only one, sorry.

--
Steve