Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
John Appleseed

Default MacBook Pro and Ubuntu.

So, I just ordered a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro from Apple, and I was
wondering if Ubuntu works fine under Boot Camp? Has anyone had any
problems? The laptop doesn't arrive until Monday or Tuesday, so I have
a little bit of time to decide if I want to try it or not.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Chris Jones

Hi,

On 7 Nov 2009, at 1:47am, John Appleseed wrote:

> So, I just ordered a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro from Apple, and I was
> wondering if Ubuntu works fine under Boot Camp? Has anyone had any
> problems? The laptop doesn't arrive until Monday or Tuesday, so I have
> a little bit of time to decide if I want to try it or not.

When I got my macbook Pro, about a year ago now, I thought I would
eventually do the same. However, first I tried putting ubuntu into a
Virtual machine, just as an experiment, and that was worked very well
such that I never needed use BootCamp. The advantage of using a VM is
of course yo don't need to dual boot, which is very nice. Of course,
there is a small overhead to running in a VM, the biggest being your
machine needs enough ram. But if you have enough, and I would say 4G
giving 2G to the VM is a good balance, then I would give this a try.
Dual booting is very yesterday

I know this isn't really an answer to your question, but I thought it
might interest you if you hadn't thought of using a VM...

Chris

Old 11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Steven Susbauer

On Nov 7, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7 Nov 2009, at 1:47am, John Appleseed wrote:
>
>> So, I just ordered a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro from Apple, and I
>> was
>> wondering if Ubuntu works fine under Boot Camp? Has anyone had any
>> problems? The laptop doesn't arrive until Monday or Tuesday, so I
>> have
>> a little bit of time to decide if I want to try it or not.
>
> When I got my macbook Pro, about a year ago now, I thought I would
> eventually do the same. However, first I tried putting ubuntu into a
> Virtual machine, just as an experiment, and that was worked very well
> such that I never needed use BootCamp. The advantage of using a VM is
> of course yo don't need to dual boot, which is very nice. Of course,
> there is a small overhead to running in a VM, the biggest being your
> machine needs enough ram. But if you have enough, and I would say 4G
> giving 2G to the VM is a good balance, then I would give this a try.
> Dual booting is very yesterday
>
> I know this isn't really an answer to your question, but I thought it
> might interest you if you hadn't thought of using a VM...

It may be worth asking on ##mac on Freenode, a member by the name of
"branes" has suggested against running Linux in boot camp due to some
issue it has with, I believe, voltage control. I am not very familiar
with the issue or what problems it may cause, and have not tried
running a distro in boot camp myself.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> It may be worth asking on ##mac on Freenode, a member by the name of
> "branes" has suggested against running Linux in boot camp due to some
> issue it has with, I believe, voltage control. I am not very familiar
> with the issue or what problems it may cause, and have not tried
> running a distro in boot camp myself.

Hardware safety is one other reason I have stuck with a VM - I'm
happier letting OSX handle the hardware and keep Ubuntu safely away in
a virtual machine...

Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Seth

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think that I will do what has been said and just download VirtualBox and run Ubuntu there. I need Windows for school anyway so I think I will install it in Boot Camp instead. Thanks for the help.

--

Samuel Goldwyn *- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong."

Old 11-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Chris Jones

On 8 Nov 2009, at 7:10am, Seth wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think that I will do what has
> been said and just download VirtualBox and run Ubuntu there. I need
> Windows for school anyway so I think I will install it in Boot Camp
> instead.

Windows can nicely run in a VM as well. No need to dual boot anything

Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Seth

Yeah, but I've found that Windows doesn't really run well under virtualization, unlike Ubuntu.

--
Mike Ditka *- "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Chris Jones

On 8 Nov 2009, at 7:27pm, Seth wrote:

> Yeah, but I've found that Windows doesn't really run well under
> virtualization, unlike Ubuntu.

FUD. Runs just fine.

I'm not a big fan of windows, but don't spread untruths...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
John Appleseed

Hey, don't get mad at me, that's just been my experience with Windows
and virtualization. It's never worked well for me.

Sent from my iPod

Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Derek Broughton

John Appleseed wrote:

> Hey, don't get mad at me, that's just been my experience with Windows
> and virtualization. It's never worked well for me.

My experience, with many installations, is that it works just fine provided
you have enough real memory on your host machine to be able to give the
Windows machine what it needs without causing the swapper to thrash.
--
derek