Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
NoOp

Default transferring files

On 11/05/2009 09:15 PM, Jason Nichols wrote:

> before installing ubuntu i moved a sizeable quantity of files from my
> computer to my girlfriends computer with the intention of
> transferring them back after installing ubuntu. for some reason my
> computer doesn't turn up in the vista network screen that my
> girlfriends computer has despite the fact we are both connected to
> the router...any help would be appreciated

Do you have samba installed? How about a shared folder?

Try this:

1. Create a new folder & name it something like 'tempdir'.
2. Right click on tempdir & select Properties|Share|Share this folder.
If you do not have samba installed you'll get a popup telling you that
you need to install it & the popup will offer to do that for you - do it.
3. Log out & log back in. Note: sometimes this isn't necessary, but in
earlier versions the share wouldn't take unless you did this.

You should not have to reboot for the vista computer to see you. It may
take a few moments for the vista computer to pick up your samba
broadcasts, but eventually you should be able to see the ubuntu machine.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Jason Nichols

i worked that out...but now it won't let me switch the owner to my computer from the vista com...when i tell it to it says someting about nt having the restore permission to do it...how do i give it restor permission and which end des that need to be done from (the folders are already on my drive)

Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 AM
NoOp

On 11/06/2009 02:02 PM, Jason Nichols wrote:

> i worked that out...but now it won't let me switch the owner to my
> computer from the vista com...when i tell it to it says someting
> about nt having the restore permission to do it...how do i give it
> restor permission and which end des that need to be done from (the
> folders are already on my drive)

*Please bottom post on this list* Thanks :-)
[Proper quoting]

OK, you might try going the other way. Right click tempdir (or whatever
folder you created to share on Ubuntu) and again select:
Properties|Share and check "Allow other people to write..." and then
click 'Modify Share'. Now, from Vista, connect to the shared folder -
you should now be able to copy the files from Vista to the Ubuntu shared
folder.