Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM
"Yuelin Li"

Default "mount -t cifs" garbled text after 9.10 upgrade

After a distribution upgrade to 9.10, "mount -t cifs"
gives me problems.

For example, I used to be able to connect to 101.22.33.44 and
type "ls /mnt/g/" to see a list of files on that Windows shared
drive:

/bin/mount -t cifs -o ip=101.22.33.44,username=DOMAIN/userid /mnt/g

After the upgrade, however, I began getting garbled text:

ls: cannot access ?: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access H~1: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access R~1.226.serverauth: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access R~1.517.serverauth: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access D~1: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access ~1: No such file or directory

[..snipped..]

????/ ~1 C~1/ O~1 ???????pgad R~1.358.serverauth U~1/

In Nautilus, it works as expected (using [Go]->[Location] to
connect). But I would like to get it to work in command
line.

I got the same garbled text using "smbmount //101.22.33.44/share/
/home/user/g -o username=user,workgroup=DOMAIN,password=Passwd,
iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777". Reinstalling
samba and smbfs did not solve it.

Any thoughts?

Yuelin.

communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If
computer.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Yuelin Li <liy12@mskcc.org> [2009-11-06 11:59 -0500]:
> After a distribution upgrade to 9.10, "mount -t cifs"
> gives me problems.
[...]
> After the upgrade, however, I began getting garbled text:
>
> ls: cannot access ?: No such file or directory
> ls: cannot access H~1: No such file or directory
[...]
> In Nautilus, it works as expected (using [Go]->[Location] to
> connect). But I would like to get it to work in command
> line.
>
> I got the same garbled text using "smbmount //101.22.33.44/share/
> /home/user/g -o username=user,workgroup=DOMAIN,password=Passwd,
> iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777". Reinstalling
> samba and smbfs did not solve it.

Try adding 'noserverino' to your mount options. That has worked for
others who have described a similar problem.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/406466>