Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Fred Roller

Default Multiple Distros - One /home

Cristopher Thomas wrote:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is
> this even possible?

As long as you have seperate users for each build you should be able to
set up the following (example):

sda1 = /home
/home/user1
/home/user2

sda2 = / <- of build one
sda3 = / <- of build two

the seperate users would keep config files specific to the builds
seperate. This /could/ be done. On the other hand you keep the data
separate this way. As Avi mentioned it might be better to have shared
data partition instead:

sda1 = /Data
sda2 = / <- of build one
sda3 = / <- of build two

then use the command "ln -s" to link directories to /Data

> Separate question: is there documentation available that would tell
> me how to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Cris

Use a live cd to shrink and repartition your hard drive. Move your data
and mount the new partition to /home.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros?* Is this
> even possible?

It's possible, but the differences in the settings files between
different versions of gnome for example could quickly cause issues or
at least confusion.

What I'd do if I wanted something like that is make a partition for
the standard folders inside of home
e.g. put Documents, Desktop, Pictures etc on a separate partiton, and
symlink them into the home folder of each distro.
The settings I'd be worried about sharing are all in ~/.something
files or folders and that way would still be unique per distro.

Brian

Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Cristopher Thomas

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 10:26 -0500, Cristopher Thomas wrote:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is
> this even possible?
>
> Separate question: is there documentation available that would tell
> me how to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Cris

Thanks everyone. Guess this is going to be a no go. I was looking for
a simple way to try out another distro without having to go through the
very annoying process of setting things up after installing. Thanks for
the input!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 AM
Mike McMullin

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 16:23 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> > shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is this
> > even possible?
>
> It's possible, but the differences in the settings files between
> different versions of gnome for example could quickly cause issues or
> at least confusion.
>
> What I'd do if I wanted something like that is make a partition for
> the standard folders inside of home
> e.g. put Documents, Desktop, Pictures etc on a separate partiton, and
> symlink them into the home folder of each distro.

This makes sense, but... what about conflicting UID's?

> The settings I'd be worried about sharing are all in ~/.something
> files or folders and that way would still be unique per distro.

Agreed.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Paul Trevethan

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 01:03 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 16:23 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> > > shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is this
> > > even possible?
> >
> > It's possible, but the differences in the settings files between
> > different versions of gnome for example could quickly cause issues or
> > at least confusion.
> >
> > What I'd do if I wanted something like that is make a partition for
> > the standard folders inside of home
> > e.g. put Documents, Desktop, Pictures etc on a separate partiton, and
> > symlink them into the home folder of each distro.
>
> This makes sense, but... what about conflicting UID's?
>
> > The settings I'd be worried about sharing are all in ~/.something
> > files or folders and that way would still be unique per distro.
>
> Agreed.

Leaving /home within the distro's root file system space and linking to
a common folder/partition (that I happen to mount as /data and is auto
mounted in each /etc/fstab) is the way I always do it. Works well here &
this machine alone has 5 different distros on it with 5 different user
names.

What I do to overcome the UID problem is that, under each distro
installed, I create a Group called 'share' and manually give it an id of
1500. That tends to be away from anything created automatically. I then
place all the users who I want to access the shared data in that group.
In fact, I make it their default group. I then make sure the shared
partition's folders are all marked as writeable by 'group'. You can even
go so far as making default 'umask' for each user as 664 rather than
644.

This way everything that gets written to the shared /data folders has a
group name of 'share', group id of '1500' and is writeable by any member
of the group. Doesn't matter what the uid of the user is or which distro
they come from.

Paul.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Brian McKee

you can assign the uid when you create a user

On 11/7/09, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 16:23 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
>> > shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is this
>> > even possible?
>>
>> It's possible, but the differences in the settings files between
>> different versions of gnome for example could quickly cause issues or
>> at least confusion.
>>
>> What I'd do if I wanted something like that is make a partition for
>> the standard folders inside of home
>> e.g. put Documents, Desktop, Pictures etc on a separate partiton, and
>> symlink them into the home folder of each distro.
>
> This makes sense, but... what about conflicting UID's?
>
>> The settings I'd be worried about sharing are all in ~/.something
>> files or folders and that way would still be unique per distro.
>
> Agreed.

All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Fred Roller

> Thanks everyone. Guess this is going to be a no go. I was looking for
> a simple way to try out another distro without having to go through the
> very annoying process of setting things up after installing. Thanks for
> the input!

That being the case, have you given thought to Virtualbox?

sudo apt-get install virtualbox

Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Cristopher Thomas

On 11/07/2009 01:03 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
> That being the case, have you given thought to Virtualbox?
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox

I'm a big fan of Virtualbox. I just have a bad habit of looking for
ways to make my life difficult.

-- Cris

Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:03:23 -0500
Fred Roller <froller@tnclimited.com> wrote:

> > Thanks everyone. Guess this is going to be a no go. I was looking
> > for a simple way to try out another distro without having to go
> > through the very annoying process of setting things up after
> > installing. Thanks for the input!
> >

> That being the case, have you given thought to Virtualbox?
>
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox

Seconded. I have seven other distros that I occasionally run in a
VirtualBox.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Fred Roller

Cristopher Thomas wrote:
> On 11/07/2009 01:03 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
>
>> That being the case, have you given thought to Virtualbox?
>> sudo apt-get install virtualbox
>>

> I'm a big fan of Virtualbox. I just have a bad habit of looking for
> ways to make my life difficult.
>
> -- Cris

Know what you mean. That's why I have gotten /real/ good at rebuilding
:-P but a. it's fun and b. how else do we learn.