Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Cristopher Thomas

Default Multiple Distros - One /home

How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros?* Is this even possible?

Separate question:* is there documentation available that would tell me how to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?

Thanks in advance,

--Cris

Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Avi Greenbury

Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros? Is
> this even possible?

It's unpredictable, and depends on how similar the distros are. The
more similar, the lower the chance of trouble, but I'd still not
suggest it's a fantastic idea.

What're you storing? When I had multiple distros on the same box I used
to have three partitions that were mounted at ~/work ~/media and
~/stuff on each distro. Anything I wanted across them was in these, and
so there were no config file issues.

> Separate question: is there documentation available that would tell
> me how to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?

Quite likely through Google, but it's a pretty simple process:
- Boot in single-user mode
- Create new partition
- Move data from wherever /home is now to wherever /home will be
- Edit /etc/fstab to mount the new home partition at /home

Note that if you don't delete the data under /home and then mount
something there, it will sit there using disk space, and wont be
accessible (for deletion) until /home is unmounted.
I'd be tempted, then, to copy it across, test it, and then umount /home
and delete what was under it. But I'm paranoid.

You shouldn't *need* to be in single-user mode, just logged in as root.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Colin Law

2009/11/6 Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com>:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros?* Is this
> even possible?

I did this for the upgrade 8.10 to 9.04 so that I could fall back to
8.10 if any problems. It worked ok for the limited time I needed it
(whilst confirming 9.04 was ok and installing apps etc). There can be
problems with settings if the two distros have different versions of
an app so make sure /home is fully backed up (including hidden
folders). Running a later version of an app may modify the settings
so an earlier version is not happy, though it should not do this.

> Separate question:* is there documentation available that would tell me how
> to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?

Google found several examples of how to do this for me. Have a look
at several before starting as there are a number of ways of doing it,
and make sure you understand what is being done so you can get out if
there are problems. Also make sure everything is backed up of course
(and check the backup is definitely ok).

Colin

Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/11/6 Cristopher Thomas <crisnoh@gmail.com>:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros?* Is this
> even possible?
>
> Separate question:* is there documentation available that would tell me how
> to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Cris

As many already said, there could be trouble. If you want to reach
your personal files from all the distros, I would create a separate
partition for it. I guess that partition could be mounted to your
$HOME in all the distros you install. If not, you could always create
a link for each distro to that partition.

Johnny Rosenberg