Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Darshana Jayasinghe

Default problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10

Answer for your first question From the installation cd you can easily* do it
this will help https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM, vsrk sarma <vsrksiva@gmail.com> wrote:

Till two days back my HP-Compaq nx6115 notebook (AMD Turion64)*was working dual boot with Windows XP home Edition on two partitions(sda1 & sda5)*of 40GB each and Unbuntu 9.04 on other partitions(sda6 & sda7).

Then, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10. It was not successful with blank screenat booting.Then, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.10 fresh from CD. while installing files a alarm wasobserved regarding one of windows partitions(sda5). Installation was not successful

*with GRUB alarm and GRUB Rescue prompt. Is there any way rescue attempt could be made?Further, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.04(earlier) version from CD. The problem persisted.I could recover Windows installation by FIXMBR in repair mode with installation CD.

Finally, I had to delete second Windows Partition (sda5), before I successfully, reload Ubuntu 9.04 again.My queries:How to use GRUB Rescue?Could the stuation be handled better without need to delete of sda6(loosing data)?

Is it safe to attempt to install Ubuntu 9.10 once more? If so with what steps?
--
vsrk sarma

DÄrshana

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Tom H

> Till two days back my HP-Compaq nx6115 notebook (AMD Turion64)
> was working dual boot with Windows XP home Edition on two partitions(sda1 &
> sda5)
> *of 40GB each and Unbuntu 9.04 on other partitions(sda6 & sda7).
> Then, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10. It was not successful with blank
> screen
> at booting.
> Then, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.10 fresh from CD. while installing files a
> alarm was
> observed regarding one of windows partitions(sda5). Installation was not
> successful
> *with GRUB alarm and GRUB Rescue prompt. Is there any way rescue attempt
> could be made?
> Further, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.04(earlier) version from CD. The problem
> persisted.
> I could recover Windows installation by FIXMBR in repair mode with
> installation CD.
> Finally, I had to delete second Windows Partition (sda5), before I
> successfully, reload Ubuntu 9.04 again.
> My queries:
> How to use GRUB Rescue?
> Could the stuation be handled better without need to delete of sda6(loosing
> data)?
> Is it safe to attempt to install Ubuntu 9.10 once more? If so with what
> steps?

grub-rescue> = GRUB has not found the right partition/disk. You can
use "ls" to locate the right partition/disk, load sh:grub>, and boot.

grub rescue> ls
grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot
grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot/grub
# where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
# if they list the contents of /boot and /boot/grub #
# load normal.mod to go to the grub shell
grub rescue> insmod (hd0,X)/boot/grub/normal.mod
# try to boot using the following #
sh:grub> configfile (hd0,X)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

# if "configfile..." above fails #
sh:grub> root (hd0,X)
sh:grub> insmod /boot/grub/ext2.mod
sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x.x root=/dev/sdaX ro
# where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
# where vmlinuz-2.6.x.x is the correct kernel #
sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.x.x
# where initrd.img-2.6.x.x is the correct initrd #
grub> boot

Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2009 01:41 PM, Tom H wrote:

> grub-rescue> = GRUB has not found the right partition/disk. You can
> use "ls" to locate the right partition/disk, load sh:grub>, and boot.
>
> grub rescue> ls
> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot
> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot/grub
> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
> # if they list the contents of /boot and /boot/grub #
> # load normal.mod to go to the grub shell
> grub rescue> insmod (hd0,X)/boot/grub/normal.mod
> # try to boot using the following #
> sh:grub> configfile (hd0,X)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> # if "configfile..." above fails #
> sh:grub> root (hd0,X)
> sh:grub> insmod /boot/grub/ext2.mod
> sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x.x root=/dev/sdaX ro
> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
> # where vmlinuz-2.6.x.x is the correct kernel #
> sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.x.x
> # where initrd.img-2.6.x.x is the correct initrd #
> grub> boot

Tom, where did yoiu find the info for grub rescue? I was messing around
trying to get a virtualbox rawdisk working the other day & encountered
'grub rescue' when the vm started & for the life of me I couldn't find a
doc or info.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Tom H

>> grub-rescue> = GRUB has not found the right partition/disk. You can
>> use "ls" to locate the right partition/disk, load sh:grub>, and boot.
>>
>> grub rescue> ls
>> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot
>> grub rescue> ls (hd0,X)/boot/grub
>> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
>> # if they list the contents of /boot and /boot/grub #
>> # load normal.mod to go to the grub shell
>> grub rescue> insmod (hd0,X)/boot/grub/normal.mod
>> # try to boot using the following #
>> sh:grub> configfile (hd0,X)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> # if "configfile..." above fails #
>> sh:grub> root (hd0,X)
>> sh:grub> insmod /boot/grub/ext2.mod
>> sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x.x root=/dev/sdaX ro
>> # where sdaX is the correct Ubuntu partition #
>> # where vmlinuz-2.6.x.x is the correct kernel #
>> sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.x.x
>> # where initrd.img-2.6.x.x is the correct initrd #
>> grub> boot

> Tom, where did yoiu find the info for grub rescue? I was messing around
> trying to get a virtualbox rawdisk working the other day & encountered
> 'grub rescue' when the vm started & for the life of me I couldn't find a
> doc or info.

I read the following on http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :

"The grub-rescue> mode is a more restricted subset of the grub> shell.
Some commands are phrased differently here for easier use. Try help to
start.

"Useful tip: try to load normal mode: insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod

"After this command help will show normal as possible command. Try it.
Normal mode will be loaded. Now try to load ls (insmod
/boot/grub/ls.mod), help and so on."

And switched to grub-rescue> from sh:grub> and looked into what
restricted meant.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM
NoOp

On 11/09/2009 04:32 AM, Tom H wrote:

> I read the following on http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :
>
> "The grub-rescue> mode is a more restricted subset of the grub> shell.
> Some commands are phrased differently here for easier use. Try help to
> start.
>
> "Useful tip: try to load normal mode: insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod
>
> "After this command help will show normal as possible command. Try it.
> Normal mode will be loaded. Now try to load ls (insmod
> /boot/grub/ls.mod), help and so on."
>
> And switched to grub-rescue> from sh:grub> and looked into what
> restricted meant.

Thanks. I did indeed try 'help' in that mode & didn't do anything
useful. I'll need to experiment more, as the "manual" doesn't really
give much information.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Tom H

>> I read the following on http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :

>> "The grub-rescue> mode is a more restricted subset of the grub> shell.
>> Some commands are phrased differently here for easier use. Try help to
>> start.

>> "Useful tip: try to load normal mode: insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod

>> "After this command help will show normal as possible command. Try it.
>> Normal mode will be loaded. Now try to load ls (insmod
>> /boot/grub/ls.mod), help and so on."

>> And switched to grub-rescue> from sh:grub> and looked into what
>> restricted meant.

> Thanks. I did indeed try 'help' in that mode & didn't do anything
> useful. I'll need to experiment more, as the "manual" doesn't really
> give much information.

You're welcome. The link on http://grub.enbug.org/ to the manual says
that it is a draft, although I don't think that it will ever be
updated completely.

I don't think that there is much to be done in grub-rescue except find
the correct /boot/grub and load normal.mod in order to switch to
sh:grub. I think of it as Grub's initrd equivalent because if you are
dumped into initrd at boot, you have a limited number of tools to boot
fully.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2009 11:36 PM, vsrk sarma wrote:
> Till two days back my HP-Compaq nx6115 notebook (AMD Turion64) was
> working dual boot with Windows XP home Edition on two partitions(sda1
> & sda5) of 40GB each and Unbuntu 9.04 on other partitions(sda6 &
> sda7). Then, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10. It was not successful
> with blank screen at booting. Then, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.10 fresh
> from CD. while installing files a alarm was observed regarding one of
> windows partitions(sda5). Installation was not successful with GRUB
> alarm and GRUB Rescue prompt. Is there any way rescue attempt could
> be made? Further, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.04(earlier) version from
> CD. The problem persisted. I could recover Windows installation by
> FIXMBR in repair mode with installation CD. Finally, I had to delete
> second Windows Partition (sda5), before I successfully, reload Ubuntu
> 9.04 again. My queries: How to use GRUB Rescue? Could the stuation be
> handled better without need to delete of sda6(loosing data)? Is it
> safe to attempt to install Ubuntu 9.10 once more? If so with what
> steps?

Vsrk, did you get this sorted out, or do you still need help?