Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 AM
vsrk sarma

Default problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10

Till two days back my HP-Compaq nx6115 notebook (AMD Turion64)*was working dual boot with Windows XP home Edition on two partitions(sda1 & sda5)*of 40GB each and Unbuntu 9.04 on other partitions(sda6 & sda7).
Then, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10. It was not successful with blank screenat booting.Then, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.10 fresh from CD. while installing files a alarm wasobserved regarding one of windows partitions(sda5). Installation was not successful
*with GRUB alarm and GRUB Rescue prompt. Is there any way rescue attempt could be made?Further, I tried to load Ubuntu 9.04(earlier) version from CD. The problem persisted.I could recover Windows installation by FIXMBR in repair mode with installation CD.
Finally, I had to delete second Windows Partition (sda5), before I successfully, reload Ubuntu 9.04 again.My queries:How to use GRUB Rescue?Could the stuation be handled better without need to delete of sda6(loosing data)?
Is it safe to attempt to install Ubuntu 9.10 once more? If so with what steps?
--
vsrk sarma