Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
thomas

Default Major problems with 9.10.

The groups that did the upgrade of Ubuntu must have been trying to outdo
Microsoft's track record of releasing buggy Operating Systems. I think that
they accomplished their goal. So far experiences are very similar to the
worst
of my Windows experiences. I did not want to upgrade but it wasn't obvious
that I was getting it until it was too late. I assumed that it was
another of the
typical upgrades that I have been getting. In addition to
functionalities lost,
such as sound, it tends freeze up and I have to reboot. So far today 3
times.
Plus, the screen flickles a lot.

What is the world coming to if the open source free software is as bad
as the
over priced stuff from Microsoft and similar outfits? Microsoft is not
the only
company that is releasing buggy software that is over priced.

Thomas

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Jon Hilbert

I loaded 9.10 and having trouble. *Is it time to dump and load 9.04 as something that works?"Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain."

* * * * * *--Friedrich von Schiller

Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Nils Kassube

thomas wrote:
> The groups that did the upgrade of Ubuntu must have been trying to
> outdo Microsoft's track record of releasing buggy Operating Systems.
> I think that they accomplished their goal. So far experiences are
> very similar to the worst
> of my Windows experiences. I did not want to upgrade but it wasn't
> obvious that I was getting it until it was too late. I assumed that
> it was another of the
> typical upgrades that I have been getting.

Why do you flame the Ubuntu developers if you acknowledged in another
post that it was a "very stupid mistake on [your] part". I mean, if you
don't read the info presented to you, what should the developers do to
prevent your stupidity? Should they hide the information of a new
version being available? Most people want to know that immediately.

> In addition to
> functionalities lost,
> such as sound, it tends freeze up and I have to reboot. So far today
> 3 times.
> Plus, the screen flickles a lot.

I can understand your frustration - but why don't you downgrade to the
previous version? Use the installation CD from the previous version.
Select manual partitioning and don't format the / partition. The
installer will then keep your /home directory untouched. Granted, you
will have to install all the extra packages which are not in the default
installation, but at least you don't get the freeze up and your sound
should work again.

Nils