Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
"LLLActive@GMail.com"

Default Change Ubuntu reporting language in Terminal (Konsole)

Hi all,

I am supporting a user that uses a German default language installation
of 9.04 over ssh connections. On this German default language system,
the man pages are shown in English; but that is OK.
I am trying to generate a *.deb package with alien (sudo alien -c
Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm). The reporting language for the
errors comes in German at the end for "dpkg-shlibdeps:".

:~/Downloads/Epson/ALC1100/RPM$ sudo alien -c
Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm
[sudo] password for ~:
Package build failed. Here's the log:
dh_testdir
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_clean -k -d
dh_installdirs
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 |
xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/epson-alc1100-filter
dh_compress
dh_makeshlibs
dh_installdeb
dh_shlibdeps
dpkg-shlibdeps: Warnung: Abhängigkeit von libgcc_s.so.1 könnte vermieden
werden, falls »debian/epson-alc1100-filter/usr/bin/alc1100« nicht
unnötigerweise dagegen gelinkt wäre (es verwendet keines seiner Symbole).
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: Fehler: aktuelle Host-Architektur »amd64« erscheint
nicht in der Architekturliste (i386) des Pakets
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 1
find: "Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2": No such file or directory

I need the Warnings in English (I do understand the German fully, but
want to communicate with the programmer in English by sending it to them
in English).

The locals installed are:

sudo locale-gen
Generating locales...
de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date

How can I get English outputs without changing the system defaults? Can
it be set to en_GB.UTF-8 as default for the CLI sessions over ssh, but
keep the GUI in German?

TIA

:-)
Al

Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:57:29 +0100, LLLActive@GMail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am supporting a user that uses a German default language installation
> of 9.04 over ssh connections. On this German default language system,
> the man pages are shown in English; but that is OK. I am trying to
> generate a *.deb package with alien (sudo alien -c
> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm). The reporting language for the
> errors comes in German at the end for "dpkg-shlibdeps:".
>
> :~/Downloads/Epson/ALC1100/RPM$ sudo alien -c
> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm
> [sudo] password for ~:
> Package build failed. Here's the log: dh_testdir
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_clean -k -d
> dh_installdirs
> dh_installdocs
> dh_installchangelogs
> find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 |
> xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/epson-alc1100-filter
> dh_compress
> dh_makeshlibs
> dh_installdeb
> dh_shlibdeps
> dpkg-shlibdeps: Warnung: Abhängigkeit von libgcc_s.so.1 könnte vermieden
> werden, falls »debian/epson-alc1100-filter/usr/bin/alc1100« nicht
> unnötigerweise dagegen gelinkt wäre (es verwendet keines seiner
> Symbole). dh_gencontrol
> dpkg-gencontrol: Fehler: aktuelle Host-Architektur »amd64« erscheint
> nicht in der Architekturliste (i386) des Pakets dh_gencontrol: command
> returned error code 65280 make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 1
> find: "Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2": No such file or directory
>
> I need the Warnings in English (I do understand the German fully, but
> want to communicate with the programmer in English by sending it to them
> in English).
>
> The locals installed are:
>
> sudo locale-gen
> Generating locales...
> de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
> en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date
>
> How can I get English outputs without changing the system defaults? Can
> it be set to en_GB.UTF-8 as default for the CLI sessions over ssh, but
> keep the GUI in German?
>
> TIA
>
> :-)
> Al

In my environment I have set LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 and
LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8. This gets me near to what you want. Only all menu's in
all appliances are in english too. You may not wat that, but I have no
idea how that can be changed.

Aart

Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
"LLLActive@GMail.com"

On Nov 5, 2009, at 8:42 PM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:57:29 +0100, LLLActive@GMail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am supporting a user that uses a German default language
>> installation
>> of 9.04 over ssh connections. On this German default language system,
>> the man pages are shown in English; but that is OK. I am trying to
>> generate a *.deb package with alien (sudo alien -c
>> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm). The reporting language for the
>> errors comes in German at the end for "dpkg-shlibdeps:".
>>
>> :~/Downloads/Epson/ALC1100/RPM$ sudo alien -c
>> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm
>> [sudo] password for ~:
>> Package build failed. Here's the log: dh_testdir
>> dh_testdir
>> dh_testroot
>> dh_clean -k -d
>> dh_installdirs
>> dh_installdocs
>> dh_installchangelogs
>> find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 |
>> xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/epson-alc1100-filter
>> dh_compress
>> dh_makeshlibs
>> dh_installdeb
>> dh_shlibdeps
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: Warnung: Abhängigkeit von libgcc_s.so.1 könnte
>> vermieden
>> werden, falls »debian/epson-alc1100-filter/usr/bin/alc1100« nicht
>> unnötigerweise dagegen gelinkt wäre (es verwendet keines seiner
>> Symbole). dh_gencontrol
>> dpkg-gencontrol: Fehler: aktuelle Host-Architektur »amd64« erscheint
>> nicht in der Architekturliste (i386) des Pakets dh_gencontrol:
>> command
>> returned error code 65280 make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 1
>> find: "Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2": No such file or directory
>>
>> I need the Warnings in English (I do understand the German fully, but
>> want to communicate with the programmer in English by sending it to
>> them
>> in English).
>>
>> The locals installed are:
>>
>> sudo locale-gen
>> Generating locales...
>> de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
>> en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date
>>
>> How can I get English outputs without changing the system
>> defaults? Can
>> it be set to en_GB.UTF-8 as default for the CLI sessions over ssh,
>> but
>> keep the GUI in German?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> :-)
>> Al
>
> In my environment I have set LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 and
> LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8. This gets me near to what you want. Only all
> menu's in
> all appliances are in english too. You may not wat that, but I have no
> idea how that can be changed.
>
> Aart

Hi Aart,

do you mean that the applications in the cli terminal session also
become English? That is ok - as long as the gnome gui does not change.

Could there be a way to create a user with other language settings, in
this case an English user in gnome gui that is mainly another default
setting? In that way the cli will also then be in English. I will
install 9.10 in VirtualBox and try that out. Anyone tried that before?

:-)
Al

Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 PM
"LLLActive@GMail.com"

[...]

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Well, in my new 9.10 VB installation (no problems so far - contra the other posts "Re: 9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu"), I do not see a way to give a user another language default in the gnome gui. Would have been neat though!
So I am still looking for a way to get English error reports from apps in the cli, that could also be set in the environment of a different user when logged in from the terminal session cli wirh su <user> -. I know where to set such things as the prompt for openSUSE (.profile), but not yet for Ubuntu/Deb. In openSUSE 11.2 in the user's home directory (in the .profiles file), I have:
# Most applications support several languages for their output.# To make use of this feature, simply uncomment one of the lines below or# add your own one (see /usr/share/locale/locale.alias for more codes)# This overwrites the system default set in /etc/sysconfig/language# in the variable RC_LANG.##export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 * * * *# uncomment this line for German output#export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 * * * *# uncomment this line for French output#export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 * * * *# uncomment this line for Spanish output
I can't get to the German user now, but I tried it on my VB installation. It is an English US installation, where I uncommeted the de.DE.UTF-8, but it did not work on Ubuntu 9.10 in the user's .profile file.
Any ideas welcome.
:-)Al