Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Tom H

Default daemontools in hardy

>> Try this instead: gmountiso - This is Gmountiso, a PyGTK GUI to mount
>> your cd images
>> sudo apt-get install gmountiso

> huh?

The gmountiso poster is confusing daemontools on Windows (which can be
installed to mount isos) with daemontools on Ubuntu.

Can you install the Intrepid version without screwing up your box?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Terenzio Treccani

I meant daemontools, as in Bernstein's http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Terenzio Treccani

That was what i was about to try... With the risk of actually screwing it up
I'll try it on a dev server and post here any finding, but any
feedback on prior experiences in this sense is till very appreciated.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Terenzio Treccani wrote
>Ehy, any idea of why is the daemontool package available on all 7.04+
>Ubuntu versions but not in Hardy?

I have no Hardy copies around anymore but IIRC you need daemontools-installer (apt-cache search daemontools-installer) to automate installation of daemontools. I wasn't sure what patches it had.

Notice that Hardy's installment of daemontools is differ from DJB's intentions (what else is new?). IIRC, it was /var/daemontools/service instead of /service.

But don't take it from me, updatedb and locate could be your dearest friend.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:05:40PM +0100, Terenzio Treccani wrote:
> That was what i was about to try... With the risk of actually screwing it up
> I'll try it on a dev server and post here any finding, but any
> feedback on prior experiences in this sense is till very appreciated.

I've installed it from source on several Ubuntu servers (2 8.04's and a 6.06)
without incident. I found some debian/ubuntu based instructions somewhere.
It's a bit tedious to install, but works well enough w/o borking anything. I
get so used to 'apt-get install' that things like patching, compiling, etc are
a PITA. And this rascal has a number of pieces to it. The only one I use is
tinydns, BTW. I did not know about the Ubuntu packages at the time, or I
definitely would have tried going that route.

--
Hal