Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
"Clint Tinsley"

Default 9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door and is really giving Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed, buggey release. There have been two derogative reviews with the second one today on Linux Magazine Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad" and it sad to acknowledge that they are right. The article reports that maybe 10% of the user population is getting a "succesful" working installlation and after my experience this morning, I wonder for how longed. I did an inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were seriously broken. I did a clean install, had a few challenges, not a perfect install. Then this morning, I found that my Wine menu was "reset" and one of my application folders was missing off the hard drive, this after a update that sort of worked, I think. And like many have experienced, 9.10 is very slow to boot. Waiting for the real release of 9.10... or atleast a remix. I cannot recommend 9.10 to my user community. 9.04 was great, it worked, Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.

Sorry, please no flames.

Clint

Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday 05 November 2009 11:50:47 Clint Tinsley wrote:
> It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door and is really giving
> Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed, buggey release. There have
> been two derogative reviews with the second one today on Linux Magazine
> Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad" and it sad to
> acknowledge that they are right. The article reports that maybe 10% of
> the user population is getting a "succesful" working installlation and
> after my experience this morning, I wonder for how longed. I did an
> inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were seriously broken. I did a
> clean install, had a few challenges, not a perfect install. Then this
> morning, I found that my Wine menu was "reset" and one of my application
> folders was missing off the hard drive, this after a update that sort of
> worked, I think. And like many have experienced, 9.10 is very slow to
> boot. Waiting for the real release of 9.10... or atleast a remix. I
> cannot recommend 9.10 to my user community. 9.04 was great, it worked,
> Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.
>
> Sorry, please no flames.
>
> Clint

Totally opposite of my experience. I upgraded to the 9.10 beta a few weeks ago
from 9.04 and have had no problems with it.

--
Mike McGinn
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On Thursday 05 November 2009 11:50:47 Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door
> and is really giving
> >* Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed,
> buggey release.* There have
> >* been two derogative reviews with the second one
> today on Linux Magazine
> >* Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look
> Bad" and it sad to
> >* acknowledge that they are right.* The
> article reports that maybe 10% of
> >* the user population is getting a "succesful"
> working installlation and
> >* after my experience this morning, I wonder for
> how longed.* I did an
> >* inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were
> seriously broken.* I did a
> >* clean install, had a few challenges, not a
> perfect install. Then this
> >* morning, I found that my Wine menu was "reset"
> and one of my application
> >* folders was missing off the hard drive, this
> after a update that sort of
> >* worked, I think.* And like many have
> experienced, 9.10 is very slow to
> >* boot.* Waiting for the real release of
> 9.10... or atleast a remix.* I
> >* cannot recommend 9.10 to my user
> community.* 9.04 was great, it worked,
> >* Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.
> >
> > Sorry, please no flames.
> >
> > Clint
> >
> Totally opposite of my experience. I upgraded to the 9.10
> beta a few weeks ago
> from 9.04 and have had no problems with it.

I too have had less issues with karmic beta than many other earlier releases. My .02.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
"Clint Tinsley"

I asked, please, no flames. 9.04 worked great and I have been using Gloria Mint 7 for several months now. Even Thunderbird is flaky in 9.10. Ubuntu is suppose to be for everyone, not just techies and early adopters who are willing to deal with all the problems. And most of all, it is suppose to be stable, which it is not.

Clint

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Tony Arnold

Mike,

Mike McGinn wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2009 11:50:47 Clint Tinsley wrote:
>> It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door and is really giving
>> Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed, buggey release. There have
>> been two derogative reviews with the second one today on Linux Magazine
>> Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad" and it sad to
>> acknowledge that they are right. The article reports that maybe 10% of
>> the user population is getting a "succesful" working installlation and
>> after my experience this morning, I wonder for how longed. I did an
>> inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were seriously broken. I did a
>> clean install, had a few challenges, not a perfect install. Then this
>> morning, I found that my Wine menu was "reset" and one of my application
>> folders was missing off the hard drive, this after a update that sort of
>> worked, I think. And like many have experienced, 9.10 is very slow to
>> boot. Waiting for the real release of 9.10... or atleast a remix. I
>> cannot recommend 9.10 to my user community. 9.04 was great, it worked,
>> Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.
>>
>> Sorry, please no flames.
>>
>> Clint
>>
> Totally opposite of my experience. I upgraded to the 9.10 beta a few weeks ago
> from 9.04 and have had no problems with it.

I agree. I've upgraded two machines and installed from fresh on another
all without any problems. Is this a case of only bad news ever being
reported?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Clemens Eisserer

I installed Karmic Koala on a friend's computer and was completly
shocked in what bad shape it was.

I've been on Fedora for a long time, and always considered Fedora to
be quite bleeding edge and broken,
but what I've seen with Kunbuntu totally shocked me.
As soon as F12 is released, I'll install it on her laptop.

- Clemens

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday 05 November 2009 12:38:03 Tony Arnold wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Mike McGinn wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 November 2009 11:50:47 Clint Tinsley wrote:
> >> It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door and is really
> >> giving Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed, buggey release.
> >> There have been two derogative reviews with the second one today on
> >> Linux Magazine Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad" and
> >> it sad to acknowledge that they are right. The article reports that
> >> maybe 10% of the user population is getting a "succesful" working
> >> installlation and after my experience this morning, I wonder for how
> >> longed. I did an inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were
> >> seriously broken. I did a clean install, had a few challenges, not a
> >> perfect install. Then this morning, I found that my Wine menu was
> >> "reset" and one of my application folders was missing off the hard
> >> drive, this after a update that sort of worked, I think. And like many
> >> have experienced, 9.10 is very slow to boot. Waiting for the real
> >> release of 9.10... or atleast a remix. I cannot recommend 9.10 to my
> >> user community. 9.04 was great, it worked, Gloria Mint 7 put on the
> >> polish.
> >>
> >> Sorry, please no flames.
> >>
> >> Clint
> >
> > Totally opposite of my experience. I upgraded to the 9.10 beta a few
> > weeks ago from 9.04 and have had no problems with it.
>
> I agree. I've upgraded two machines and installed from fresh on another
> all without any problems. Is this a case of only bad news ever being
> reported?
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony,
It does appear that only bad news is reported, but most folks only email these
groups when they are having problems. I bet Technical Support people do not
get many calls reporting everything is OK.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Clint Tinsley wrote:
>I asked, please, no flames.

Don't worry, you ain't gonna get any.

Two words though. Recompile kernel. Hate to recompile kernel manually? Get kernelcheck to do it for you automatically. Oh, but it won't save non-techie though. Recompile kernel should fall to "geek-only" catagory.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Roger

Or some people don't have time to report problems because they are
busy fixing the problems.

For example, I have not gotten around my work (now that I'm here I may
as well) to report how STUPID and WINDOWS LIKE is the
fact that when you type "sudo apt-get update" the Graphical Update
Manager pop ups. If this is a gnome-terminal issue then please
accept my apologies if not then take it and stop fixing what was working fine.

-r

Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Tony Arnold

Roger,

Roger wrote:
> Or some people don't have time to report problems because they are
> busy fixing the problems.
>
> For example, I have not gotten around my work (now that I'm here I may
> as well) to report how STUPID and WINDOWS LIKE is the
> fact that when you type "sudo apt-get update" the Graphical Update
> Manager pop ups.

My fresh install certainly does not do this! Something very broken on
your system, but I don't think it is a general fault with Ubuntu.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold