FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Tom H
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

Laura Conrad wrote:

> Since I upgraded my laptop to 9.10 a couple of days ago, the
> screensaver keeps asking for my password when I come back. I've tried
> to find where to tell it not to do that. *I'm sure it used to be on
> one of the xscreensaver configuration screens, but I can't find it
> now.

System - Preferences - Screensaver
if you are using the default screen saver

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Laura Conrad
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

Tom> Laura Conrad wrote:
>> Since I upgraded my laptop to 9.10 a couple of days ago, the
>> screensaver keeps asking for my password when I come back. I've tried
>> to find where to tell it not to do that. *I'm sure it used to be on
>> one of the xscreensaver configuration screens, but I can't find it
>> now.

Tom> System - Preferences - Screensaver
Tom> if you are using the default screen saver

I tried that. There are two screensavers there, but both of them are
xscreensaver, and I can't find that option.

It might not be the default, although I thought I'd done a full
reinstall since the last time I had xscreensaver problems and not
fiddled with the defaults. In any case, the screensaver certainly
wasn't asking for my password on 9.04.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

Solitary Observation Brought Back From A Sojourn In Hell

At midnight tears
Run into your ears.

Louise Bogan


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Tom H
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

Laura Conrad wrote:

>> Tom H writes:

> Laura Conrad wrote:

>>> Since I upgraded my laptop to 9.10 a couple of days ago, the
>>> screensaver keeps asking for my password when I come back. I've tried
>>> to find where to tell it not to do that. *I'm sure it used to be on
>>> one of the xscreensaver configuration screens, but I can't find it
>>> now.

>> System - Preferences - Screensaver
>> if you are using the default screen saver

> I tried that.*There are two screensavers there, but both of them are
> xscreensaver, and I can't find that option.

> It might not be the default, although I thought I'd done a full
> reinstall since the last time I had xscreensaver problems and not
> fiddled with the defaults. *In any case, the screensaver certainly
> wasn't asking for my password on 9.04.

I had added "if you are using the default screen saver" because your
initial post mentioned xscreensaver and I was unsure whether that is
the default.

I have just done a search and gnome-screensaver is installed on my
un-customized box and xscreensaver is not.

I do not understand your "There are two screensavers there, but both
of them are xscreensaver" but perhaps the solution below will work.

Since you are running xscreensaver, you should launch
xscreensaver-demo and configure it there. This is from the man page of
xscreensaver:

...
Note that xscreensaver has a client-server model: the xscreensaver pro-
gram is a daemon that runs in the background; it is controlled by the
foreground xscreensaver-demo(1) and xscreensaver-command(1) programs.

CONFIGURATION
The easiest way to configure xscreensaver is to simply run the xscreen-
saver-demo(1) program, and change the settings through the GUI. The
rest of this manual page describes lower level ways of changing set-
tings.
...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Laura Conrad
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

Tom> I do not understand your "There are two screensavers there,
Tom> but both of them are xscreensaver" but perhaps the solution
Tom> below will work.

The setup menu has two items that say screensaver, and both of them
lead to the xscreensaver configuration screen.

Tom> Since you are running xscreensaver, you should launch
Tom> xscreensaver-demo and configure it there.

I've tried that, too, and I still can't find a box that will turn off
the password on lock screen. It seems to be the same preferences
screen as I get from the setup menu.

I suppose I can try to remove xscreensaver and install
gnome-screensaver. I remember having a similar problem a few years
ago, maybe as long ago as Dapper, and it being a real nuisance.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

Part of the joy of falling in love -- for the intelligent, the
watchers, the judicious -- is the delicious license to set something
above thinking clearly, the pleasure of being driven, taken over,
overwhelmed.

A. S. Byatt _Still Life_

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Laura Conrad
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

>>>>> "Laura" == Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> writes:

Laura> I suppose I can try to remove xscreensaver and install
Laura> gnome-screensaver.

OK, I removed xscreensaver, and gnome-screensaver was running and had
a box for whether you wanted to lock the screen when it was active and
I said, "No." My machine continued to ask me to enter a password when
I came back to it. So then I asked gnome-screensaver not to run when
the machine was idle, and it isn't, but the machine is still asking me
for a password after I close the lid, but not if I just leave it open.

The "Settings" => "Power Management" screen is set to "Blank Screen"
when the lid is closed. Where do I set what to make it stop asking me
for my password? I assure you that if someone gets into my apartment
and starts fiddling with my laptop I have worse problems than whether
he or she knows my password.

This does make me feel better about eventually upgrading the desktop,
since it doesn't have a lid to close.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

It can't be any new note. When you look at the keyboard, all the notes
are there already. But if you mean a note enough, it will sound
different. You got to pick the notes you really mean!

Thelonius Monk, on being asked how he got a special sound out of the piano


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Xandros Pilosa
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

Dne 09.11.2009 (pon) ob 13:11 -0500 je Laura Conrad zapisal(a):
> >>>>> "Laura" == Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> writes:
>
> Laura> I suppose I can try to remove xscreensaver and install
> Laura> gnome-screensaver.
>
> OK, I removed xscreensaver, and gnome-screensaver was running and had
> a box for whether you wanted to lock the screen when it was active and
> I said, "No." My machine continued to ask me to enter a password when
> I came back to it. So then I asked gnome-screensaver not to run when
> the machine was idle, and it isn't, but the machine is still asking me
> for a password after I close the lid, but not if I just leave it open.
>
> The "Settings" => "Power Management" screen is set to "Blank Screen"
> when the lid is closed. Where do I set what to make it stop asking me
> for my password? I assure you that if someone gets into my apartment
> and starts fiddling with my laptop I have worse problems than whether
> he or she knows my password.

Hello Laura,
just a guess:
maybe you can check/uncheck appropriate keys with gconf-editor under:
/apps/gnome-power-manager/lock
"blank_screen" key should show false value (be unchecked), I think.

Regards


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

hi,
Am Montag, den 09.11.2009, 13:11 -0500 schrieb Laura Conrad:
> OK, I removed xscreensaver,
...
did you restart your session after doing that ? xscreensaver will keep
running in the existing session even if you uninstall it.
so you need to log out and in again ...

ciao
oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Laura Conrad
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

>>>>> "Xandros" == Xandros Pilosa <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com> writes:

Xandros> Hello Laura, just a guess: maybe you can check/uncheck
Xandros> appropriate keys with gconf-editor under:
Xandros> /apps/gnome-power-manager/lock "blank_screen" key should
Xandros> show false value (be unchecked), I think.

It is unchecked. So that isn't it.

Someone must know where this is configured? I can imagine someone
making what they believed to be an informed decision to make this
behavior the default, but it must be overrideable.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

I missed "The West Wing" every day and the people I worked with. And
I missed putting on a show every week. What I didn't miss was the
feeling of constantly having a term paper due.

Aaron Sorkin


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Laura Conrad
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

>>>>> "Oliver" == Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> writes:

Oliver> Am Montag, den 09.11.2009, 13:11 -0500 schrieb Laura Conrad:
>> OK, I removed xscreensaver,
Oliver> ...

Oliver> did you restart your session after doing that ?
Oliver> xscreensaver will keep running in the existing session
Oliver> even if you uninstall it. so you need to log out and in
Oliver> again ...

When I was running either screensaver, I was having to reboot multiple
times a day because the system would lock. So, yes, xscreensaver has
stopped. The current behavior has nothing at all to do with
xscreensaver.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
http://www.laymusic.org/ http://www.serpentpublications.org

When people talk about "write what you know" instead of writing SF, I
always say that the one thing we're all qualified to write is the
story of being thirteen years old and surrounded by aliens.

Jo Walton in her review of "Survivor" by Octavia Butler on the Tor Blog

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
NoOp
 
Default Karmic screensaver asks for password

On 11/09/2009 11:13 AM, Xandros Pilosa wrote:
> Dne 09.11.2009 (pon) ob 13:11 -0500 je Laura Conrad zapisal(a):
>> >>>>> "Laura" == Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> writes:
>>
>> Laura> I suppose I can try to remove xscreensaver and install
>> Laura> gnome-screensaver.
>>
>> OK, I removed xscreensaver, and gnome-screensaver was running and had
>> a box for whether you wanted to lock the screen when it was active and
>> I said, "No." My machine continued to ask me to enter a password when
>> I came back to it. So then I asked gnome-screensaver not to run when
>> the machine was idle, and it isn't, but the machine is still asking me
>> for a password after I close the lid, but not if I just leave it open.
>>
>> The "Settings" => "Power Management" screen is set to "Blank Screen"
>> when the lid is closed. Where do I set what to make it stop asking me
>> for my password? I assure you that if someone gets into my apartment
>> and starts fiddling with my laptop I have worse problems than whether
>> he or she knows my password.
>
> Hello Laura,
> just a guess:
> maybe you can check/uncheck appropriate keys with gconf-editor under:
> /apps/gnome-power-manager/lock
> "blank_screen" key should show false value (be unchecked), I think.
>
> Regards
>
>

apps/gnome-screensaver|lock_enabled
Just tried on mine (fresh install I'm afraid), and with the
configuration editor open to that page, I can check/uncheck the 'Lock
screen when screensaver is active' in Screensaver and watch it change
the setting (check/uncheck) in the configuration editor. If I do the
same and watch /apps/gnome-power-manager/lock|blank_screen it does nothing.

So I think the correct one is apps/gnome-screensaver|lock_enabled. Can
you do the same on your system and see if checking/unchecking 'Lock
screen when screensaver is active' also changes the
'apps/gnome-screensaver|lock_enabled'?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org