Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Asif Iqbal

Default home dir encrypt

Hi

Can I choose to encrypt my dir after the installtion? I did not choose to encrypt home dir during installation. Is it too late now?
Thanks

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Asif Iqbal:

> Can I choose to encrypt my dir after the installtion? I did not choose to
> encrypt home dir during installation. Is it too late now?

No, it's not too late.
General information about eCryptfs can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedHome
including a pointer to this
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/06/migrating-to-encrypted-home-directory.html

--
Regards
mks

Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 AM
NoOp

On 11/05/2009 04:29 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Asif Iqbal:
>
>> Can I choose to encrypt my dir after the installtion? I did not choose to
>> encrypt home dir during installation. Is it too late now?
>
> No, it's not too late.
> General information about eCryptfs can be found here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedHome
> including a pointer to this
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/06/migrating-to-encrypted-home-directory.html

And I'd recommend that you just use TrueCrypt instead:
http://www.truecrypt.org/
http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

I've had eCryptfs screw up two systems so far (so bad that I had to
reinstall) & don't trust it as far as I can spit. On the other-hand,
I've multiple truecrypt folders that were easily transfered across
systems/installs w/o *any* issues at all. Messed up an install on my
laptop (9.04 to 9.10), realized that I'd messed up the install, copied
the truecrypt folder(s) across to the laptop from a backup system,
installed TrueCrypt on the laptop, mounted, provided the proper
passwords, done.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Asif Iqbal

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/05/2009 04:29 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Asif Iqbal:

>> Can I choose to encrypt my dir after the installtion? I did not choose to

>> encrypt home dir during installation. Is it too late now?

> No, it's not too late.

> General information about eCryptfs can be found here:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedHome

> including a pointer to this

> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/06/migrating-to-encrypted-home-directory.html

And I'd recommend that you just use TrueCrypt instead:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

I will go explore it. In the meantime does it offer a solution where it automount your home
dir and decrypt at login while encrypt and unmount at logout ?

Thanks for the suggestion

*

I've had eCryptfs screw up two systems so far (so bad that I had to

reinstall) & don't trust it as far as I can spit. On the other-hand,

I've multiple truecrypt folders that were easily transfered across

systems/installs w/o *any* issues at all. Messed up an install on my

laptop (9.04 to 9.10), realized that I'd messed up the install, copied

the truecrypt folder(s) across to the laptop from a backup system,

installed TrueCrypt on the laptop, mounted, provided the proper

passwords, done.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?