Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
william drescher

Default 9.04 Jaunty - automagically setting the time

My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.

What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?

bill

Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Thomas K Gamble

On Thursday 05 November 2009 06:59:32 am william drescher wrote:
> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>
> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>
> bill

menu->system settings->Date & Time

check "Set date and time automatically" and choose a time server. The default
"pool.ntp.org" should suffice.

--
Thomas K. Gamble
System/Network Administrator, Cyber Systems Security Officer

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Thomas K Gamble

On Thursday 05 November 2009 07:30:02 am Thomas K Gamble wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2009 06:59:32 am william drescher wrote:
> > My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
> > I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
> >
> > What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
> >
> > bill
>
> menu->system settings->Date & Time
>
> check "Set date and time automatically" and choose a time server. The
> default "pool.ntp.org" should suffice.

Whoops! That's what I get for subscibing to both lists (ubuntu, kubuntu).
Some times I forget which one I'm posting to.

On ubuntu it's the system menu->administration->time and date.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Rashkae

william drescher wrote:
> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>
> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>
> bill

There is an old bug in Jaunty that can prevent ntp from updating your
clock. To whit:

If you look at the /etc/default/ntpdate file, you will see there is an
option, by default set to yes, to use the time servers listed in
/etc/ntp.conf file. This file should not exist in a default Ubuntu
install, however, there is another program somewhere that likes to
create a blank net.conf file, and then ntpdate-debian command stops working.

Either comment out that line, or make sure the time servers you want to
sync with are included in your ntp.conf file. Test from command line to
make sure ntpdate-debian works.

Also, out of curiosity, what are the contents of
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource and
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource on
your system?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:59:32 -0500
william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:

> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>
> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?

For a continually-running system, you want ntpd which continually
adjusts the clock, rather than rather than ntpdate which corrects on
boot.

Gently skewing it often is preferable to time-dependent apps than
massively jumping it occasionally.

apt-get install ntp-simple
will install and configure ntpd to use pool.ntp.org for you.
--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Derek Broughton

Avi Greenbury wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:59:32 -0500
> william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:
>
>> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
>> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>>
>> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>>

> For a continually-running system, you want ntpd which continually
> adjusts the clock, rather than rather than ntpdate which corrects on
> boot.

Actually, it corrects every time you bring up a network interface - which
generally means that it's fine for any laptop, or any machine that is
regularly shutdown or hibernated.
--
derek

Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM
william drescher

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:59:32 -0500
> william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:
>
>> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
>> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>>
>> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>>

> For a continually-running system, you want ntpd which continually
> adjusts the clock, rather than rather than ntpdate which corrects on
> boot.
>
> Gently skewing it often is preferable to time-dependent apps than
> massively jumping it occasionally.
>
> apt-get install ntp-simple
> will install and configure ntpd to use pool.ntp.org for you.
> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

That probably was the problem, I never reboot the machine.

I will follow your advice

Many thanks.

bill

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
william drescher

Rashkae wrote:
> william drescher wrote:
>> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
>> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>>
>> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>>
>> bill
>>

> There is an old bug in Jaunty that can prevent ntp from updating your
> clock. To whit:
>
> If you look at the /etc/default/ntpdate file, you will see there is an
> option, by default set to yes, to use the time servers listed in
> /etc/ntp.conf file. This file should not exist in a default Ubuntu
> install, however, there is another program somewhere that likes to
> create a blank net.conf file, and then ntpdate-debian command stops working.
>
> Either comment out that line, or make sure the time servers you want to
> sync with are included in your ntp.conf file. Test from command line to
> make sure ntpdate-debian works.

I edited the file and ntpdate-debian works just fine.
But, given the other messages in the thread, will this be
periodic or just on boot/bringing up interface ?
Do I need to put in a cron entry ?

> Also, out of curiosity, what are the contents of
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

tsc
and
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource on
> your system?
tsc acpi_pm jillies

bill

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
william drescher

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:59:32 -0500
> william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:
>
>> My 9.04 server is gaining time. When I installed it, I thought
>> I asked it to sync with a time server, but it obviously is not.
>>
>> What is the procedure to set it to sync daily ?
>>

> For a continually-running system, you want ntpd which continually
> adjusts the clock, rather than rather than ntpdate which corrects on
> boot.
>
> Gently skewing it often is preferable to time-dependent apps than
> massively jumping it occasionally.
>
> apt-get install ntp-simple
> will install and configure ntpd to use pool.ntp.org for you.
> --

->
"Package ntp-simple is not available but is referred to by
another package. This might mean that the package is missing,
has been obsoleted or is available from another source.
E: Package ntp-simple has not installation candidate."

whoops.

Another suggestion ?

bill

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Rashkae

william drescher wrote:

>> Also, out of curiosity, what are the contents of
>> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
>
> tsc
> and
>> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource on
>> your system?
> tsc acpi_pm jillies
>
> bill

Not really relevant to synching with NTP, but tsc is an absolutely
dreadful source for time. You would have to ntp sync every minute to
keep your system at the right time.

You can fix this by including a clocksource=acpi_pm in your kernel
options. (You have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to do so.) to be
honest, I'm surprised this is happening. I thought the newer kernels in
Jaunty defaulted to acpi by default.