Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Krishna Raj K

Default problem with 9.10

there is a problem with my ubuntu 9.10
it cannot connect to the internet
my modem is bsnl broadband modem where the username and password are given from inside the system.

could u please help me to solve it....

it can connected using windows xp
--
KRK

Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Jon Hilbert

Exact...exact same problem here. *XP fine to connect. *SBC Global absolutely no help as I asked for Service Type and Server Address and they said, "...we only support Windows or Mac." *BAH!

"Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain."
* * * * * *--Friedrich von Schiller

Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

You can get some help from SBCglobal.net but it's difficult especially at tier 1 level. Insist on speaking to a supervisor or tier 2 support and explain that you don't want them to support linux(well, you do but they wont) but just to give you some info. You should be able to get info such as the IP range for dchp, the gateway, netmask, etc., more difficult for a static IP where your router setup page is more useful.
The really bad thing in dealing with SBCglobal is the long wait before you get any real help and the difficulty involved. Play your cards right and you can even get them to connect you to your router tech support group where you are more likely to get help or just go to your router home page and dig it out for yourself.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
NoOp

On 11/05/2009 04:42 AM, Krishna Raj K wrote:
> there is a problem with my ubuntu 9.10
> it cannot connect to the internet
> my modem is bsnl broadband modem where the username and password are given
> from inside the system.
>
> could u please help me to solve it....
>
> it can connected using windows xp

Perhaps from WinXP you can try:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2Bbsnl +broadband>
first?

Maybe:
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8210007
[Configuring BSNL broadband]

This also might be of interest:
[have to setup pppoeconf everytime on restart]