Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
sebastien

Default LBP5050 canon printer

Hi all !

The canon LBP5050 colour laser printer sounds not (directly...)
supported by ubuntu (8.04).

My long web search gave this result :
http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0900772407.html

I should install this driver to get it work.

But prior to buy this printer, can anyone tell me if it really works ?
(it is not listed in openprinting.org)

Because I have to buy a colour laser printer, and Ive got the choice
between this canon printer and the samsung clx 3175. This samsung is
supported by linux. As I do not have win, I have to make a choice. And
it will depend on your advises.

Thanks !
Sebastien.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Steve Reilly

sebastien wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> The canon LBP5050 colour laser printer sounds not (directly...)
> supported by ubuntu (8.04).
>
> My long web search gave this result :
> http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0900772407.html
>
> I should install this driver to get it work.
>
> But prior to buy this printer, can anyone tell me if it really works ?
> (it is not listed in openprinting.org)
>
> Because I have to buy a colour laser printer, and Ive got the choice
> between this canon printer and the samsung clx 3175. This samsung is
> supported by linux. As I do not have win, I have to make a choice. And
> it will depend on your advises.
>
> Thanks !
> Sebastien.

no experience with that one but i just had a bear of a time getting a
pixma canon printer working on 8.04 for a friend. needed 2 different
drivers and issue obscure apparmor commands to get it to work. (and
this one said "works perfect" on openprinting!!) if i had to choose for
myself, id choose an hp, never had a problem with several ive owned....
just my 2cents though... on another note though........ kudos to canon
for even attempting to support linux! albeit not on their usa website...

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
NorthernSuze

2009/11/5 sebastien <camuzat.sebastien@free.fr>

> Hi all !
>
> The canon LBP5050 colour laser printer sounds not (directly...)
> supported by ubuntu (8.04).
>
> My long web search gave this result :
> http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0900772407.html
>
> I should install this driver to get it work.
>
> But prior to buy this printer, can anyone tell me if it really works ?
> (it is not listed in openprinting.org)
>
> Because I have to buy a colour laser printer, and Ive got the choice
> between this canon printer and the samsung clx 3175. This samsung is
> supported by linux. As I do not have win, I have to make a choice. And
> it will depend on your advises.

I use a HP color laserjet 3500; a 8.04 setup on a local network and
using drivers from: (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html)

Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
sebastien

ok thanks.

So It sounds like I'd better forget canon colour laser printer, and
spend money in something else that works natively with ubuntu.
A shame cos it sounds that its printing quality is ok and price per
page is one of the lowest available....?

Has anyone ever experienced the samsung clx 3157 with ubuntu ?

Thanks to all
Sebastien

Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
sebastien

I finally bought a LBP5000 and thanks to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters/CanonPrinters/Canon_LBP_2900

I got it work PERFECTLY.

I'm amazed how accurate this procedure is.
I love that.
I love this ubuntu linux.
It's a great thing in life.
As soon as I have a bit more money, I donate.
I love this system of users help and this way of finfing solutions to
probems.

Thanks to all of the opensource community.

On