Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Avi Greenbury

Default extra OS partition deletion

laura chaillie <toadiesque@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Now I have multiple ubuntu OSs and can't seem to get rid of them.
> again, any advice would be Very helpful. Thanks!! L

What have you tried?

My first method would be to
apt-get install gparted
and delete the unwanted partitions. Mount everything you don't want to
destroy beforehand, since Gparted cannot do anything to mounted
partitions.

To make better use of the resulting free space you'd probably want to
grow one of your partitions.
If you've a separate /home, I'd reboot into single user mode,
dismount /home and make it massive.
If you've only got the one partition, or it'd make more sense to put
the free space into / for example, you're going to need a livecd of
some sort.

Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Fred Roller

laura chaillie wrote:
> hey,
> If anyone could give me some advice on the following it'd be extremely
> helpful.
> I recently updated to 9.10 and after realizing that my computer was
> pretty bogged down i decided to completely reformat from a cd. When i
> reinstalled, I (in my great ignorance) partitioned my hard-drive. Now
> I have multiple ubuntu OSs and can't seem to get rid of them.
> again, any advice would be Very helpful.
> Thanks!!
>
> PS i can't boot from the older OS, it just tosses up errors and tells
> me to talk to the admin.
> PPS my cd-drive isn't burning at the moment and is very much RO right
> now.
If you still have the original disk and don't have anything on the
system to lose I would recommend rebuilding again. When the install get
to partition editor choose "use entire disk". This should wipe
*everything* on the disk, so /be sure this is what you want/. Based on
what you have described this would be the path of least resistance.
There are other solutions so give more details on what you what to
accomplish if the above won't work.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."