Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

Default E-Machines

GARY HYPES wrote:
> I know EMs have a bad rep as being poorly built machines. I'm
> considering buying one (very cheap), wiping the hard disk (Windows XP)
> and installing Ubuntu. Has anyone encountered specific problems
> installing and running Linux/Ubuntu on E-machines PC's?
I've installed openSUSE 11.0 on 3 different models of late with no
problems, so I would think you'd not have a problem with 9.10.

Fred

--
Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, so I have more reliable.
I use Linux!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Joseph

I bought a neW E-Machine and just after the warranty ran out, it broke
down. It wouldn't install from the install DVD. I decoded to load
Ubuntu on it. Yeah right. It wouldn't take it. New machine, good for
parts only. I hope you have more luck than I had.

--

Joseph Snurr
Cotter, AR.

"Age mellows some people; others it makes rotten." - Heard in Arkansas
Our May 2009 trip to the Memphis Zoo: http://e-pops.org/memphiszoo/

Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Recently I somewhat struggled to but Ubuntu on it but ultimately I came to the conclusion that wubi was the way to put it on. Nearly every boot disk I made didn't work all the way. But in using wubi to install it works great.
Besides I can somewhat use the windows partition as simply a dumping ground for other stuff. The only thing I find somewhat lacking on Ubuntu is games (I've tried wine but it isn't 100% with games) but I hardly play games.
My printer works, I get online while it is installing...overall it works quite well.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Wade Smart

Joseph wrote:

> I bought a neW E-Machine and just after the warranty ran out, it broke
> down. It wouldn't install from the install DVD. I decoded to load
> Ubuntu on it. Yeah right. It wouldn't take it. New machine, good for
> parts only. I hope you have more luck than I had.
>

> GARY HYPES wrote:
>> I know EMs have a bad rep as being poorly built machines. I'm
>> considering buying one (very cheap), wiping the hard disk (Windows XP)
>> and installing Ubuntu. Has anyone encountered specific problems
>> installing and running Linux/Ubuntu on E-machines PC's?
>>
>> --
>> Gary Hypes
>> Contrary to popular belief, violence solves a great many things.

Emachine & Gateway are the same company now.
I didnt have trouble on my gateway but on others, I have.

What I did with one emachine is go into BIOS, set cd(dvd) as the first
boot device, boot up to live cd, wipe the hd with partition manager,
then install ubuntu.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Graham Todd

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 00:09:33 -0500
"Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@lightlink.com> uttered these words:

> GARY HYPES wrote:
> > I know EMs have a bad rep as being poorly built machines. I'm
> > considering buying one (very cheap), wiping the hard disk (Windows
> > XP) and installing Ubuntu. Has anyone encountered specific problems
> > installing and running Linux/Ubuntu on E-machines PC's?
> I've installed openSUSE 11.0 on 3 different models of late with no
> problems, so I would think you'd not have a problem with 9.10.
>
> Fred

I've found E-Machines excellent for running Ubuntu, BUT I would not
install Karmic on a new machine until Karmic has been around for a
month or more - just to iron out any last remaining problems and to get
yourself aware of any major snags.

I'd suggest installing Ubuntu 9.04 ("Jaunty") for now and then
later upgrading to Karmic. You will not need to wipe the hard disk if
you partition the whole disk, but again I'd suggest that you have a
separate /home partition on a separate hard disk to keep your data
discrete.

--
Graham Todd

Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 PM

I have an eepc with Ubuntu which works very well. The only problem I had
was with sound volume and if you go to the eeebuntu page and go to the
forums you can solve it easily. I assume you are talking about one of
their netbooks.

Lynn

Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Graham Todd

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 06:07:10 -0600
Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> uttered these words:

> I bought a neW E-Machine and just after the warranty ran out, it
> broke down. It wouldn't install from the install DVD. I decoded to
> load Ubuntu on it. Yeah right. It wouldn't take it. New machine,
> good for parts only. I hope you have more luck than I had.
[snipped]

Well E-Machines computer certainly are both cheap and inexpensive, but
this is not my experience at all, as I said. You have to fiddle with
the BIOS (as someone else said) to make sure the CD/DVD boots first,
but then you have to do that with any computer new to you.

I have never had a tower that didn't install Ubuntu, Kubuntu or
Xubuntu, but if you're at all worried buy a second hand one on eBay.

My experience is in the UK. Are they built more solidly over here?

--
Graham Todd