Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Keith Clark

Default Command line printing to usb printer

How do I redirect the output of a command to my USB connected laser
printer. Here is the output of lpinfo for the target printer:

keithclark@HP1211N:/dev$ lpinfo -v
network socket
network beh
direct hal
network
ipp://fe80::213:d4ff:feca:5872:631/printers/hp-color-LaserJet-2550-series
direct hp:/usb/hp_color_LaserJet_2550_series?serial=00XXXXXXXXXX
direct hpfax
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
network smb

This printer is on the computer that I am trying to print from.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Naruhiko Ogasawara

Hi,

If you don't hate CUPS, just make a CUPS print queue to use your
USB printer (you can choose Raw data PPD if you don't need any
data translation), and use -d <printer_queue_name> option of
lp / lpr (If you have only one printer queue, no -d option is needed).
It's easiest way.

Thanks,
--
Naruhiko (Nate) Ogasawara (naruoga@gmail.com)

Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 AM
James Michael Fultz

* Keith Clark <keithclark@k-wbookworm.com> [2009-11-04 21:07 -0500]:
> How do I redirect the output of a command to my USB connected laser
> printer. Here is the output of lpinfo for the target printer:

$ command | lp -

or

$ command | lpr

Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Keith Clark wrote:
> How do I redirect the output of a command to my USB connected laser
> printer. Here is the output of lpinfo for the target printer:
>
> keithclark@HP1211N:/dev$ lpinfo -v
> network socket
> network beh
> direct hal
> network
> ipp://fe80::213:d4ff:feca:5872:631/printers/hp-color-LaserJet-2550-series
> direct hp:/usb/hp_color_LaserJet_2550_series?serial=00XXXXXXXXXX
> direct hpfax
> network http
> network ipp
> network lpd
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> direct scsi
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
> network smb
>
> This printer is on the computer that I am trying to print from.

What version of Ubuntu? On the newer versions you need to go
to "System - Administration - Printing and in the panel make a
new printer and be sure it finds the USB port, and when done
select it as default.

Done. Mine works fine.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Keith Clark

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 06:04 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Keith Clark wrote:
> > How do I redirect the output of a command to my USB connected laser
> > printer. Here is the output of lpinfo for the target printer:
> >
> > keithclark@HP1211N:/dev$ lpinfo -v
> > network socket
> > network beh
> > direct hal
> > network
> > ipp://fe80::213:d4ff:feca:5872:631/printers/hp-color-LaserJet-2550-series
> > direct hp:/usb/hp_color_LaserJet_2550_series?serial=00XXXXXXXXXX
> > direct hpfax
> > network http
> > network ipp
> > network lpd
> > direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> > direct scsi
> > serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> > serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
> > serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
> > serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
> > network smb
> >
> > This printer is on the computer that I am trying to print from.
> >

> What version of Ubuntu? On the newer versions you need to go
> to "System - Administration - Printing and in the panel make a
> new printer and be sure it finds the USB port, and when done
> select it as default.
>
> Done. Mine works fine.

Karl,

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I meant a command on the
command line (terminal). My printer works fine when I use GUI
applications. I'm using 9.04.

My apologies,

Keith

Old 11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 08:39 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 06:04 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > Keith Clark wrote:
> > > How do I redirect the output of a command to my USB connected laser
> > > printer. Here is the output of lpinfo for the target printer:

> Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I meant a command on the
> command line (terminal). My printer works fine when I use GUI
> applications. I'm using 9.04.

lp or lpr will work. You need to know the printer name or set it as the
default with lpadmin.

Both accept input from stdin without a file argument. You might also
want to filter the command output through "pr" to page the output
nicely. Something like:

<command> | pr | lp -d <printer>

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Keith Clark

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 11:48 -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 08:39 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I meant a command on the
> > command line (terminal). My printer works fine when I use GUI
> > applications. I'm using 9.04.
>
> lp or lpr will work. You need to know the printer name or set it as the
> default with lpadmin.
>
> Both accept input from stdin without a file argument. You might also
> want to filter the command output through "pr" to page the output
> nicely. Something like:
>
> <command> | pr | lp -d <printer>
>
> --
Where does one find the "name" of a printer?

Keith

Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Naruhiko Ogasawara

Hi,

>> <command> | pr | lp -d <printer>
>>
>> --
> Where does one find the "name" of a printer?

Check your CUPS / GNOME printer name.

--
Naruhiko Ogasawara (naruoga@gmail.com)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 15:18 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:

> Where does one find the "name" of a printer?

lpstat -p
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Keith Clark

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 18:29 -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 15:18 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:
>
> > Where does one find the "name" of a printer?
>
> lpstat -p
> --
Perfectamundo!

Many thanks.