Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Jaunty and my Fujifilm camera

Awhile back there were lots of talk about cameras not working
on Ubuntu. I got around to it and unpacked the VERY special
USB cable that came with my Fujifilm Finepix S1500 camera.

Plugged the tiny plug into the camera and turned it on. Then
put the normal size plug into my computer. I watched and the
kernel did something and then a panel came up asking how I
wanted to handle the pictures. I choose Fspot and it got all
the pictures titles to see. I selected one picture and saved
it on my desktop. Then I sent that picture to Wal Mart via the
Internet. I will pick up 5 prints tomorrow.

This camera works perfect with Jaunty.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Dotan Cohen

> * * * *Awhile back there were lots of talk about cameras not working
> on Ubuntu. I got around to it and unpacked the VERY special
> USB cable that came with my Fujifilm Finepix S1500 camera.

That's a mini-B plug, nothing special about it:
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

> * * * *Plugged the tiny plug into the camera and turned it on. Then
> put the normal size plug into my computer. I watched and the
> kernel did something and then a panel came up asking how I
> wanted to handle the pictures. I choose Fspot and it got *all
> the pictures titles to see. I selected one picture and saved
> it on my desktop. Then I sent that picture to Wal Mart via the
> Internet. I will pick up 5 prints tomorrow.

With the possible exception of Polaroid cameras, all large digital
camera manufactures support USB Mass Storage today. Some, like Canon,
will have extra features when used in proprietary mode, but for
transferring pictures Mass Storage is more than adequate (actually
preferable in most cases).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Awhile back there were lots of talk about cameras not working
>> on Ubuntu. I got around to it and unpacked the VERY special
>> USB cable that came with my Fujifilm Finepix S1500 camera.
>>

> That's a mini-B plug, nothing special about it:
> http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Good to know. I think the nearby Dollar Tree has what I use,
mini-B on one end and standard on the other. Will look.

Thank you!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI