Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
anon anon

Default apt won't fetch anything from any server

i am unable to do any updates on my Jaunty box.. apt-get update gives a
"Failed to Fetch" line for each repo and then states "Some index files
failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.".

Changing Software Sources doesn't help either. I've tried over 10 different servers now. (actually make that 20 times)

This has been going on for about a week

Attached is my errors and my /etc/apt/sources.list* file.*** Any help would be appreciated, no one in the forums of #ubuntu has any clue.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

This is in your error list but not in sources.list that I could find:

W: Failed to fetch http://mirror.cps.cmich.edu/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages Connection failed

I suggest you review all sources of your mirrors listing and look for descrepancies instead of asking someone else to do it for you.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
anon anon

No need to be rude.* I wasn't trying to get anyone to do anything FOR me, i didn't understand what was going on.

But thanks for the attitude, i appreciate it.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

I didn't mean to be rude. Just showing you that there was an obvious difference you should have caught and checked out for yourself. It's your system to maintain.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
anon anon

piss off

Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Cemal Eker

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
anon anon

Sorry, I didn't need the sarcasm followed up my same lame excuse for the rudeness coupled with even more rudeness.* I've been frustrated for days with this problem.* If he didn't want to help, he should've just not replied.** Of course it is "my system to maintain".

I could say that to every person in #ubuntu, every person the forums and every person on this mailing list. What kind of crappy response is that?* "Sorry bub, i'm smarter than you, not helping you out.. maintain it yourself!"

Hardly the Ubuntu way.

I fixed the problem btw, apt for some reason was using my ssh socks 5 proxy.*

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

As you wish.
Plonk
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
NoOp

On 11/04/2009 09:48 AM, anon anon wrote:
> No need to be rude. I wasn't trying to get anyone to do anything FOR me, i
> didn't understand what was going on.
>
> But thanks for the attitude, i appreciate it.

What he was pointing out is that your errors show:
Err http://mirror.cps.cmich.edu jaunty Release.gpg
Connection failed

yet your sources.list show:

deb http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ jaunty main
deb-src http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ jaunty main

BTW: mirror.cps.cmich.edu doesn't appear to even ping:
$ ping mirror.cps.cmich.edu
ping: unknown host mirror.cps.cmich.edu

Not sure why they are even still showing up in the mirrors list in
'Software Sources' or Synaptic; they don't appear here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
or here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> As you wish.
> Plonk
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

It is interesting that he found his problem he said. It
appears his apt was using some ssh to another computer???

He sure must have a complex computer.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI